Life > Academics

Three Must-Have Apps for a University Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

School has started for many students, and with that comes the stressors of studying and organizing everything in your life. There are many apps and programs that you can download to your laptop to help you out with organization. Here are three that I think will help you a lot as a student! 

Anki

Being a medical student, I frequently use Anki as a memorization tool. Anki is a flashcard program that combines active recall with space repetition. It works by showing you the information that you have to learn multiple times. For example, the first time you see the information and you get it right, you will see the card again after a day, then three days, five days, 10 days and so on. You can also change the settings whenever you want to suit your needs. I used Anki for one of my classes freshman year and I still remember a lot of the information a year later. It is a free program that you can download onto your laptop, however it does cost money to download on your phone. There are also many add-ons that you can download for free to customize your experience to suit your personal learning style.

Notion

Notion is a helpful and popular app to organize all aspects of your life, no matter what profession you are in. It has many aspects to it to increase the productivity in your life, from to-do lists to calendars that you can customize to match your needs! Once you download Notion, you can set it up however you want or use many of the free online templates that Notion offers. You can use it to organize your school life and your personal life at the same time. I find it useful because it gives you the opportunity to have everything in the same place for easy access. You can also embed other programs/websites such as Google Docs in your notion pages. It is free to download on your laptop and phone. 

Microsoft To-Do 

An alternative to using the to-do list option on Notion is Microsoft To-do. It comes free with your microsoft account on your laptop and your phone (it can be synced up by using the same account to log in on both devices). I like this app a lot because you can make different lists for all of your classes or clubs and set reminders and due dates. My favorite feature of Microsoft To-do is that you can set some tasks to “My Day” which means it shows up on a separate list of all of the tasks that you have to complete for that day. You can also ‘star’ important tasks so they show up in another list. 

Student life is stressful. A lot of the classes you take require memorization and good studying strategies, and luckily these apps provide an easy way to organize your life and study efficiently! 

Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.