Things To Do While You Stay Home and Stay Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

The COVID-19 numbers are rising and there is something we can do about it. We can all do our part and stay home and limit our exposure to other people,wearing masks when we do have to venture outside of our homes. You might be thinking, I don’t want to sit inside all day again just watching Netflix or attending zoom classes and doing homework. So why not take up a new hobby? There are so many fun things you can do while you sit at home! And you already know I have some great suggestions for you.  

Scrapbooking.

Take those photos you cherish so much on your phone and print them off––Walgreens always has great coupons and curbside pickup. Next, order some fancy scrapbook paper, fun stickers and double sided tape and get to work. Arrange them any way you like and make a cute collage. I have found that scrapbook pages aren’t just fun to make for yourself, but make a great gift as well! 

Crocheting.

It’s not as hard as you would think! Order a good sized ball of yarn and I highly recommend investing in an ergonomic crocheting needle to save your wrist. Once you have those supplies, you can start to learn. Don’t start by looking up a pattern and reading all the confusing jargon. Bella Coco’s YouTube videos are a great place to get started. Sit down and try to crochet while listening to your favorite podcast, music or tv show, and you will have it down in no time.

Jewelry Making.

With this one, you can create whatever you please: earrings, bracelets, necklaces or really anything your heart desires. Once you know what you want to make, look up the sales on Michael’s or Amazon. Both always have great deals on beads and jewelry making kits––I have really enjoyed this one. One tip I have for this craft is to invest in a good pair of pliers to open up chains. This is another craft that can double as a great gift, especially with the holidays coming up!

There are so many things you can do while you stay home and stay safe. As the weather gets colder, we are already going to be inside more, so we might as well be having some fun and trying out what might just become our new favorite hobbies. So many sales are happening this week, so stock up on your supplies now and get crafting! And again, stay home and stay safe.

Amira is currently a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. She is always smiling with a kombucha in her hand & blasting her multiple Céline Dion CD's in her car because duh, the radio can't beat Céline Dion. On any given day she will gladly talk your ear off about Grey's Anatomy, stronger background checks for gun purchases and why immigrants are some of the most important members of our society.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.