This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

We all have that friend who will pick up the phone on the first ring. Or the friend that sends you to voicemail because they know you like to leave embarrassing stories in their mailbox for them to keep forever. Ever since childhood, we have been surrounded by books, movies and TV shows of girls and their best friends- H2O, Hannah Montana, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, the list goes on and on. Friends come and go, but it is said that after seven years of friendship, you are friends for life, and when someone sticks with you through thick and thin, they really are your best friend. It is the qualities these friends share that make us lucky enough to call them our best friends. 

A best friend will share your passions. They might want to be a lawyer, but all you know about law school is what Elle Woods taught you in “Legally Blonde” ––bend and snap–– and nothing else, but because they are your best friend you will cheer them on no matter what. A supportive friend is never discouraging, only encouraging, always there to tell you to shoot for the stars.

The love of a best friend is unconditional. They are your second family and home away from home. They assure you that you can do anything you put your mind to. They are the sisters we never had that let you borrow their clothes. They would travel the world for you (or the I-80). At the drop of the hat, they will be there for you, even if it’s not in person. However, with today’s technology, they are just a quick text away. Best friends are always there to offer love and support, even if you just have a huge anatomy test in 15 minutes. They are there to remind you that Lizzo wrote the lyric, “100% that bitch,” about you. They will send you compliments whenever you need it. They will never fail to put a smile on your face.

To all the best friends out there that will always be a Facetime away. That serve as your hype woman on Instagram. They are the person that comes up with a code name for your crush. The person that you can laugh together with for hours on the floor of your bedroom. The person who will gladly drive five hours from Iowa City just to come and watch you cry about seeing the Jonas Brothers for the very first time in concert. Thank you to my best friend and thank you to all the other best friends out there that love and support our every move.

Amira is currently a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. She is always smiling with a kombucha in her hand & blasting her multiple Céline Dion CD's in her car because duh, the radio can't beat Céline Dion. On any given day she will gladly talk your ear off about Grey's Anatomy, stronger background checks for gun purchases and why immigrants are some of the most important members of our society.