This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

It’s funny that I am writing this article as I think about starting a new workout plan and figuring out how I can be in better shape before 2020 is over. Honestly, food is more appealing to look at than exercise routines. I can tell you what day I will not be working out on: Thanksgiving. I’m sure this day will look different this year for many people, at least it will for my family. Regardless, I believe the munch should still be the same. I normally make a dessert every year to share because I love sweets and the aspect of staring at a new recipe to make. I will share a few of my favorites that are pretty simple to make and some I hope to try.

My Classic Favourite: Oreo Truffles

I learned how to make these a few years ago and I am obsessed. I picked the recipe up from a school event when I first tried them and never looked back. I thought, “Since I love Oreos and chocolate, why not put them together?” This dessert is basically crushed oreos mixed with cream cheese and coated with chocolate in a ball form. If you have never tried one, it is an absolute must. One of the best parts of this dessert is how easy it is to make. It only requires three ingredients, plus a few additional household items. These aren’t necessarily festive to Thanksgiving either. You can enjoy them year-round, but they are a quick and easy alternative if you don’t have time to make something big. 

The Recipe I Want To Try This Year: Pumpkin Pie Crisps

I discovered pumpkin pie crisps while I was strolling through facebook a few months ago and I am excited to try them. I am a big advocate for all things pumpkin pie, plus it’s served warm so it seemed like a good option. In terms of ingredients it is a bit more extensive than the oreo truffles, but most things can be found in your home. I doubt that I will be able to make them look as good as they do on this website, but I will be sure to focus on the aesthetic (and of course the taste). 

For the Cheesecake Fans: Pumpkin Cheesecake

I figured I would be doing a disservice to myself if I didn’t talk about cheesecake, so I’m leaving this here. I know I’ve said I love many things, but my all-time favorite will always be cheesecake. Sorry for my anti-cream cheese/lactose intolerant friends, but I love a nice cold treat. It’s been a long while since I have made a full cheesecake, but in the summer I tried a no-bake oreo one for the first time and it was amazing. Not sure how it will work with pumpkin, but I would say it’s definitely worth trying for the season. 

As you can probably tell, I enjoy talking about and looking at food. Fortunately for me, this is one of the best times of the year to do it. Don’t worry, I am thankful for many other things as well, and I hope you are too. Don’t let this interesting time in the world ruin your holiday festivities or your appetite. Be thankful for friends, family and the invention of your favorite dessert. 

I am a third year student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City medical program. When I am not starting a new TV show, I enjoy looking at new recipes, taking pictures, and laughing with other people.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.