Wellness

Sustainable Alternatives to Pads and Tampons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Whether we like it or not, normal period products have become incredibly unsustainable. In fact, over the course of their lifetime, a person who menstruates will use between five and 15,000 pads and tampons, with the majority of this supply ending up in landfills across the world. Eventually, they will break down into microplastics that will pollute our oceans and rivers, then enter our water supply. However, due to sanitary reasons, period products are obviously not something that we can simply give up. Instead, I recommend looking for alternative options that will be better for the environment. 

A great change you can make is to switch to organic products. While regular sanitary products are made out of non-organic cotton that is bleached with chlorine, organic period products often stray from using bleach and other chemicals. Many are also eco-friendly, which not only benefits you, but our planet. However, it is important to research each product that you try, in order to make sure it is the right fit for you and your preferences. With that being said, here are three sustainable period product alternatives to increase your environmental consciousness. 

L. Products

This brand makes organic sanitary pads and tampons that can be found online and at your local Target. Not only are they made with organic cotton, but they also avoid using bleaching, pesticides and are cruelty-free. Also, for every product purchased, an additional package is donated to someone in need. Due to their affordability ($7 a box) and sustainability, I definitely plan on checking this brand out the next time I find myself (safely) at Target.

DivaCup

This product seems to be one of the more popular alternatives to mainstream period products, as they claim to be the world’s #1 reusable menstrual cup. Even though it costs $40, it will seriously decrease the amount of money you spend on each cycle because you can re-use the cup. Also, there are three different types listed on the website, and you can take a mini quiz based on your flow to discover which model will be best for you. Although the use and care of the DivaCup seem a bit intimidating, I know many people who use it and have nothing but positive things to say. 

FLEX Disc

If you are looking for a sustainable product that can be used with an active lifestyle, then the FLEX Disc may be perfect for you. Even though it is disposable, you can safely wear it for up to 12 hours, which limits the amount of waste compared to a traditional period product. As an added bonus, the FLEX Disc claims to reduce cramps in up to 60% of users and dryness/irritation in up to 80% of users.

Hopefully these sustainable options will help you find peace of mind during your next cycle. However, this is just a small sampling of the abundance of sustainable period products out there, so I encourage you to do your own research and try out options to find your best fit. Who knows? You may even find your new favorite product!

Abigail Weiler (She/Her) is currently a Freshman at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where she is majoring in Political Science and minoring in International Studies and French. In her free time, she loves traveling, watching movies, running, keeping up with politics, and spending time with her dog named Heidi. She can almost always be found watching Parks and Rec, listening to Stevie Nicks or Carole King on repeat, working on her handmade earrings business, or encouraging people to vote.