alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Cleaning Tips & Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

The first day of spring is right around the corner, which means it’s time for spring cleaning! I am a firm believer in the KonMari method, a method created by Marie Kondo. Marie Kondo is the host of the hit Netflix show, “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo” and is the author of “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing.” If you don’t have to the energy to start cleaning, watch her show on Netflix for some inspiration.

I try to declutter my house at least once a month (sometimes more, sometimes less) and once you start doing it, you’ll be surprised to find out how much stuff you can do without. I have been attempting minimalism for over a year, but I still find myself struggling with clutter. Spring is the perfect time to refresh your space.

Before I start sorting through my belongings, I like to start by cleaning my house first. Since the weather is getting warmer, it’s time to let some fresh air into your apartment, house or dorm room. I like to play some upbeat pop and alternative music while I sweep and clean my apartment.

Is your closet overflowing with clothes you never wear? If you haven’t cleaned out your closet in over a year, now is the time to do it. Every now and then I like to take out all my clothes (yes, all of them) and put them on my bed as recommended by Marie Kondo. Marie Kondo suggests to pick up a piece of clothing and ask yourself “Does this item spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If it doesn’t, put it in a donate pile. Keep repeating this process until you have sorted through all the clothes you own. Any clothing that you don’t want to give to donation can be sold on Poshmark or ThredUp.

If you’re like me, your desk is probably 90 percent papers and 10 percent…desk. As spring break gets closer and midterm study guides pile up, it’s time to get organized! Leave winter behind and change your environment for a fresh start to spring! Ask yourself, “Do I really love my space? Am I thriving here?” For me, the answer changes weekly. Sometimes I’m obsessed with my space (particularly my desk area) and other times, I feel stuck and uninspired.

It’s time to sort through any miscellaneous items. For me, everything I don’t want to deal with gets thrown in the spare room closet. Follow the same process as before: sort each item into a keep, donate or throw away pile. Sort through any area of your space that gets frequently neglected such as bookshelves or bathroom drawers. Check the expiration dates on your makeup and medicine. Don’t flush your expired or unused medicine down the toilet! Medicine that gets flushed can harm aquatic life, pollute our water systems and contaminate food and water resources. Instead, you can take your medicines to local hospitals or pharmacies to be properly disposed of or gather your medicine for National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day on April 27th from 10 am-12 pm. A list of locations will be available to the public on April 1st.

Now that you’ve just cleaned your entire house, it’s time to celebrate! Invite some friends over to have a clothing swap or just lay on the couch and watch some Netflix. You deserve it.

Kara is a senior studying English with an emphasis in Creative Writing and minoring in Communication Studies at UMKC. Aside from writing for UMKC’s chapter of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of Sigma Tau Delta-Nu Theta. In her free time, she can be found exploring Kansas City with her friends or cozying up with a good book.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.