This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Acne is something that a lot of us struggle with. Over the past few years, I’ve struggled with finding products that will treat my acne and not leave a heavy shine on my already oily skin. I have gone to multiple dermatologists but didn’t want to take medication to resolve my acne. Instead, I began to research products that would help treat my oily, acne prone skin. These products are the treatments I found that saved my face.

Moisturizers

Even oily skin can sometimes get dry. The best moisturizers contain hyaluronic acid to help treat acne and reduce the level of oiliness on the surface of the skin. SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel has an added benefit of vitamin B5 which helps improve skin’s elasticity and helps reduce redness.

Although this product is a little pricey, it’s the best moisturizer I have ever used. The gel moisturizer leaves your skin feeling hydrated and refreshed with a cooling sensation. This product does a great job moisturizing your skin without leaving an oily residue. Also, the added vitamin B5 leaves your skin feeling soft, soothed and regenerated.

If you are looking for a great moisturizer at a more reasonable price try a lotion that is made for acne prone skin. Important qualities to look for in a moisturizer are to make sure the product contains active ingredients like salicylic acid or hyaluronic acid to help treat acne. Make sure that when you’re selecting skincare items that the product caters to your skin type.

CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion for Normal to Dry Skin is made with an oil-free formula which is great for oily skin and it contains hyaluronic acid. I have used this product for many years and it hydrates your skin without making it feel greasy. It’s a great alternative to the Hydrating B5 gel because the effects are nearly the same.

Face Scrubs

Face scrubs are a great way to treat acne and remove excess oil from the skin. Charcoal is known as a great product that absorbs excess oil which in turn helps clear up your acne.

Feeling Beautiful Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask is great as an everyday face wash. I use this to wash my face every day and it leaves my skin feeling smooth and oil free. This product is also a great exfoliator because of the black sugar it contains.

Toner

Toners are a great way to help reduce acne and to keep the level of oil on your skin under control.

Witch hazel is known to remove excess oil on the skin, treat acne, and reduce the appearance of acne scars. I have been using the Mario Badescu Witch Hazel and Rosewater Toner for about one month and it has helped clear up my skin. This toner leaves your skin feeling silky smooth and smelling like roses.

Face Masks

Last, but certainly not least, face masks are a fun and relaxing way to help clear up your skin.

That Tea Party Buzz Hydrogel Sheet Mask contains green tea which is full of antioxidants that are great for your skin. These antioxidants help protect your skin from the sun and help clear pores which will reduce the amount of oil and dirt on the skin.

Having oily skin and acne is not ideal but it’s important to love your skin. Let your true self shine (literally) and remember you are not alone. Having oily skin and or acne is nothing to be ashamed of, but if you are wanting to lessen the effects, you can show your skin some love by using these products.

Hana Matthys is a recent graduate from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Hana enjoys going to concerts, spending time with friends and attending sporting events.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.