This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

As the seasons change from to fall to winter, it can be hard to find a skincare routine that works for you. I have struggled with dry skin and lips for years and it can leave you feeling uncomfortable, affecting your confidence. After testing several skin care products over the last year, I have finally found some skincare products that I swear by.

1. e.l.f  Mint Maniac- Lip Exfoliator

Recently I discovered this product on Pinterest and decided to try it out. I have been a fan of e.l.f for years and once again, they did not disappoint me. Mint Maniac is compact and won’t leave a mess in your bathroom. E.l.f is cruelty-free and very affordable compared to other drugstore products. If you haven’t tried a lip exfoliator before, I highly recommend using this one. Mint Maniac will help your lips feel refreshed and hydrated as the temperatures drop.

2. Alaffia Face Wash Coconut and Neem- Purely Coconut, Normal to Dry Skin

I have nothing but positive things to say about Alaffia. For several months, I have been using their face wash, body wash, and deodorant on a regular basis. I started using their Coconut and Neem Face Wash a few months ago and I have noticed a positive change in my skin. After switching my face wash to Alaffia, I don’t have to deal with acne anymore. I find myself feeling more confident in my skin more than I have before. Unlike face washes that contain microbeads, Alaffia’s Coconut and Neem Face Wash gives you a deep clean without damaging your pores or the environment. The key ingredients of Alaffia’s Purely Coconut Face Wash are neem, papaya, coconut oil, and lavender. Alaffia’s products are handcrafted, ethically traded, and vegan. The funds from their products are used to help communities in West Africa provide bicycles, eyeglasses, and schools for children in need.

3. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Dry Skin Therapy

Palmer’s Cocoa Butter is probably the best lotion brand I have ever used. If you are a fan of products that don’t contain heavy fragrances, this is the product for you. With a formula that leaves your skin feeling moisturized and smooth, Palmer’s give your skin relief from dry, cold weather. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter is the perfect lotion to use if you have dry, oily or eczema prone skin. As an added bonus, this product contains no parabens or phthalates and is cruelty-free.

4. Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Cucumber, and Green Tea

Once I discovered cucumber and rose water, my skincare routine completely changed. On fall or winter mornings when my skin feels too dry to wash, I will spray Mario Badescu’s Cucumber Water on my face and my skin feels moisturized immediately. Mario Badescu’s facial mists can be used as a toner or as a setting spray for your makeup. Mario Badescu products are not tested on animals.

5. Clean & Clear Night Relaxing Detox Clay Mask

I recently picked up this face mask at my local drugstore but didn’t decide to try it until weeks after purchasing. The smell and texture of this clay mask reminded me of Lush’s Mask of Magnaminty, and I have to say Clean & Clear’s Detox Clay Mask is a good drugstore dupe. A face mask is great to put on after a stressful day on campus and this product will definitely be my saving grace as finals and the holiday season approaches.

Taking the time to learn about which skin care products work for you can prove to be very beneficial in helping your skin and boosting your confidence. So treat yourself to a nice face mask or lip scrub, because why not?

Kara is a senior studying English with an emphasis in Creative Writing and minoring in Communication Studies at UMKC. Aside from writing for UMKC’s chapter of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of Sigma Tau Delta-Nu Theta. In her free time, she can be found exploring Kansas City with her friends or cozying up with a good book.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.