Simple Ways to Spruce Up Your Dorm for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

The semester is winding down and the winter holidays are quickly approaching. While we’re all nearing finals and end of the year deadlines, decorating for the holidays is a great way to relax and get festive! The title of this article may lead you to think you can only use these tips if you live in a dorm, but this is definitely not the case. These ideas are perfect for decorating any space- be it your dorm, apartment or home!

1. A Cute Wreath

The first thing you see when you get to your dorm is the door, and putting up an adorable wreath like this one is a great way to get your whole home into the holiday spirit. The wreath pictured is currently out of stock, but you can find a similar one here. You can also head to your local craft store and create a wreath of your own.

2. Door Decorations

If you don’t want to shell out the cash for a wreath or make your own, you can use colored papers or gift wrap to give your door a festive flair. I love how the one pictured looks like a Christmas present!

3. An Evergreen Candle or Fragrance Plug-In

The smell of evergreen trees is what really puts me in the holiday mood. Some dorms and apartments don’t allow candles, so you can alternatively use an evergreen fragrance plug-in instead! You can buy a candle similar to the one pictured above here.

4. Festive Garland

Garlands are perfect for decorating small spaces like apartments and dorms because there’s so much you can do with them. My favorite ways to use it are around door frames or over my headboard.

5. Fun Pillows and Throws

Never underestimate the power of a cute pillow! A couple of festive pillows and a fluffy throw can transform any room into a cozy winter escape. For an adorable snowman pillow, click here. If you’d prefer puppies, click here.

6. String Lights

I keep my string lights up year-round, but to make it a bit more festive, you can arrange the lights to look like different shapes. In the picture above they created a Christmas tree out of string lights, which you can buy here.

7. Art Prints

Art prints and pictures really can change the whole aesthetic of a room. There’s just something about hanging up holiday art that makes a room feel perfectly put together. If you like the print pictured above, you can check out the artist’s Etsy shop here.

8. Snow Globes

I loved collecting snow globes when I was a kid, but I wasn’t the biggest fan of paying for them. Fortunately, I have learned how to make DIY snow globes! To learn how to make your own snow globe like the one pictured, click here.

Decorating for the holidays has always been one of my favorite activities, so I hope this article gave you ideas as well as some festive cheer. Happy Holidays!

Julia is currently majoring in psychology with a minor in political science at UMKC. She serves as the Social Media Director of the UMKC chapter of Her Campus. Some of her favorite things include baking, feminism, and listening to Hayley Kiyoko. Upon graduation, she hopes to attend graduate school to ultimately become a clinical psychologist.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.