This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In recent months, I’ve become a big fan of Reddit and the vast ocean of content it has to offer. In the past, I would consider myself quite the social media connoisseur, but as I grew older (and more anxious), the platforms became more like work than play for me. The negativity that tends to foster on social media can be overwhelming, which is why I only ever find myself scrolling on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram anymore. Basically, I have the social media collection of our parents’ generation. 

I had only ever heard semi-scary things about Reddit. Every conspiracy and rumor seems to start there, and the trolls aren’t afraid to come out. But on a night that I was particularly bored, I decided to give the app a try. If you don’t already know, Reddit is a website filled with various communities tailored to users’ interests. Whether you’re after dessert recipes, international news updates or even just need advice, Reddit likely has a plethora of information for you to get lost in.

One of the first Reddit communities (subreddits) that I joined was r/Crystals. Basically, people come here to add pictures of crystals that they found and purchased. They’ll post their collections, their questions, and even just their favorite pieces here. I love scrolling through this page and learning more about different rocks, as nerdy as it sounds. I’ve even posted some pictures in this community of my rock collection. Most times, the comments are wholesome and informative, which takes away a lot of my anxiety surrounding social media. Don’t be fooled, though, if you stumble into the wrong subreddit, you can find some toxic posts and comments.

I’m nowhere near getting engaged, but I absolutely love the subreddit, r/EngagementRings. Weddings have been a source of entertainment for me since I was little — I loved watching “Say Yes to the Dress,” doodling wedding cakes into my notebooks and even considered becoming a professional wedding videographer. But now, I just lurk on this Reddit community where people post pictures of their new bling. Sometimes, members will tell the story of how they got engaged or share wedding planning advice in the comments. I love this subreddit for its supportive nature and lack of drama. I will definitely be posting my own ring here when the time comes!
When I say that there are millions of communities on this forum, I mean 2.8 million. Each time I scroll on Reddit, I learn something new about my own interests and hobbies. There are thousands of people who share my interests, as niche as I previously thought they were! Even if it seems silly at first, I urge you to give the app a try. You never know what you may learn!

Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.