This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Procreate is an app for digital art that is available to download on iPads. It does cost money to download, but for any artists out there it is the best platform to do your art. For a long time, I preferred physical art much more than digital art. I was used to making physical art and there were also many types of medium that I could pick from. When I discovered procreate though, I never looked back.

When I took an art class my senior year of high school, I was first introduced to Procreate and I have been using it more and more since! There are many advantages to using Procreate and also many types of artwork that you can create. 

One of the advantages of using Procreate is that there are many features that increase the types of artwork that you can create. For example, there are many brushes, like watercolor, acrylic, airbrush and even a cloud one and more that you can use. I like the blending tool the most because it is very easy to use. It is much easier to make artwork on Procreate because of this and it still looks like any artwork that you would create that is physical. Another advantage of this app is that when you create pieces of art you can export them and save them as a jpeg, png or more. If I want the physical version of my piece then I print out the piece at Walgreens, which is really easy and cheap to do.  

The interface of Procreate is also very easy to use. One thing that I do find difficult is that there are many features of Procreate that you can use, and you have to either figure them out as you go along or watch tutorials. I have been using this app for years and I am still finding new things that you can do on Procreate. Another thing that is difficult to do on Procreate is adding filters. I usually edit my final artwork on the photos app on my iPad and add my special effects, for example brightening or saturating on there. 

After I started school, I haven’t had a lot of time to do art, especially physical art because it takes so long to set everything up. Procreate is an easy and effective alternative to making physical artwork that still makes your art look beautiful. Be sure to check out my next article where I describe more advantages, tips and features on Procreate for new artists and Procreate users!

Hi! My name is Shreevarsha and I am currently a third year in the 6 year B.A./M.D. program at UMKC! My hobbies include doing art and reading!