Podcasts I’ve Been Listening to & I Think You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

The podcast phenomenon has taken over and it is here to stay. As a self-proclaimed podcast fanatic, I’ve heard my fair share of different podcasts. Whether your thing is wellness, fashion or true crime, there’s a podcast out there for just about anyone. If you’re new to podcasts and want to listen to more but don’t know where to start; here are the podcasts that I’ve been listening to this fall that I highly recommend.

Anything Goes

Anything Goes is a podcast by Emma Chamberlain, who is arguably one of the most influential creators of our generation. Having a successful YouTube channel and creating a trendy coffee company proves that whatever Emma puts her mind to, she will do well.  So, it’s no surprise that her podcast is a success, and has even won awards. Emma talks about a wide variety of topics, so you never really know what she’s going to talk about in an episode. Whether she’s sharing a random story, advice or life philosophy, Emma makes you feel like you’re having a conversation with your best friend. Even though she is relatively young, Emma offers really good advice on relationships, career, and mental health to name a few. If you are obsessed with Emma like I am, you are sure to love her podcast.

Gals on the Go

“Gals on the Go” is a lifestyle podcast hosted by influencers and YouTubers, Danielle Carolan and Brooke Miccio. The pair talks about friendships, social media trends, relationships, fashion and so much more. I find that this podcast focuses on having raw and authentic conversations, and uncovers the truth about the perfect and glamorous lives that we see on social media. I would recommend this podcast for anyone who is trying to navigate their early twenties because Brooke and Danielle offer a great platform where they share relatable experiences for those trying to navigate their twenties in a way where it feels like you’re listening to your best friends.

The Daily

“The Daily,” a podcast created by The New York Times, tells some of the biggest stories told by the best journalists in the world. It’s hosted by Michael Barbaro and Sabrina Tavernise. One thing that I love about this podcast is that it doesn’t take up too much of your time. The episodes are only twenty minutes a day, five days a week, all prepared by 6 am. I find that the episodes are very straight to the point, and the journalists give you the information straight from the source. The podcast is good at selecting credible sources and remaining unbiased. I would recommend this podcast for those who want to keep up with current events but don’t particularly like watching the news.

TED Talks Daily

We all might be familiar with TED Talks, which is a wildly popular media organization that hosts different conferences from all over the world. For those who like educational podcasts, this is one to add to your list. Hosted by journalist Elise Hu, “TED Talks Daily” gives you the latest talks from some of the world’s prominent thinkers and creators in audio form.  The episodes are less than 20 minutes, and are released daily (hence the name). This podcast is a great way to take a little time out of your day to learn something new.

Moments

Have you ever just needed a moment? Well, when you think about it, our lives are created by little moments that come together to make one big picture. Created and hosted by TikTok influencer Lexi Hidalgo, “Moments” is a self-help podcast that advises on body image, self-esteem and anxiety. She is good at putting things into perspective, and I find that her content is easy for young women to relate to it. She uses her platform to promote a lot of positivity. For those who are going through it, her podcast is worth the listen.

Crime Junkie

This podcast is for any true crime lovers out there. I’ve never been an avid listener of true crime, but I’ve recently gotten into listening to Crime Junkie’s latest episodes. The episodes feature a variety of topics from unsolved murders all the way to conspiracy theories. Hosts Ashley and Brit are knowledgeable and you can tell that they heavily researched their content. If you can never get enough true crime, then this is the podcast for you.

The Skinny Confidential: Him & Her

What happens when you take a serial entrepreneur and a social media extraordinaire? You get “The Skinny Confidential: Him & Her”. Married couple Lauryn Evarts Bosstick and Michael Bosstick share their different perspectives on  wellness, beauty, lifestyle, and business tips. One of the best things about this podcast is that it brings in some amazing guest speakers ranging from entrepreneurs, doctors, scientists and actors. Anyone with an interest in entrepreneurship will enjoy this podcast. Lauryn and Michael are great hosts who discuss a wide variety of topics (not to mention they’re hilarious). The episodes usually range around an hour but are definitely worth the listen. 

The Toast

Who isn’t a sucker for pop culture? “The Toast” is a comedy podcast hosted by Jackie and Claudia Oshry. The pair discusses different pop culture events and they don’t shy away from stating their opinions. This podcast is great for those who are looking for an entertaining podcast where they can get in a good laugh.

Podcasts are a great addition to your daily routine since you can listen to them without having to set aside time to read or watch a video. Podcasts allow you to be productive with other tasks, compared to spending time scrolling through your phone (your eyes will thank you later). The podcasts mentioned above are a great place to start if you don’t know what you want to listen to, but I encourage you to give podcasts a chance. You never know what you can learn when you listen.

Hi! My name is Emily Long and I am a freshman here at UMKC. I am studying Business with a minor in International Studies. I love exercising, traveling, reading, baking, movies, music, and everything Trader Joe's. I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus!