This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Spring is coming, thank goodness. Am I the only one who thought we’d be stuck in winter for forever? While I’m eternally grateful for the longer days and warmer temperatures creeping around, I’m well aware that April is essentially the month dedicated to rainfall. That said, I’ve concocted the perfect playlist for those extra gloomy days.

Someone to Stay – Vancouver Sleep Clinic

I stumbled across this soft tune while drifting to sleep one night, scrambling to save it before it ended and I lost it in the Spotify abyss. The combination of the singer’s high pitched voice, romantic lyrics and background choir makes for a great opening to this playlist.

“I know how it feels being by yourself in the rain. We all need someone to stay.”

Creep – Ember Island

This rendition of Radiohead’s “Creep” is just fantastic. Alex’s, band vocalist, raspy voice is worthy of chills, honestly. In contrast to the original, Ember Island’s cover is light and airy despite the grunge behind the lyrics, the perfect sound for a gloomy scene.

“You float like a feather in a beautiful world. I wish I was special. You’re so very special.”

Wait – M83

M83 threatens to lull you to sleep (in the very best way) before enticing you halfway through this song with the outpour of emotion in lead singer Anthony Gonzalez’s voice. It’s entirely encapsulating and heart wrenching all at once. I could very well put their entire album on this soundtrack, but I’ll make some sacrifices.

“Set your dreams where nobody hides. Give your tears to the tide.”

Maps – Keaton Henson

There’s something about the vulnerability and almost-whisper volume at which Keaton Henson delivers this cover that makes his emotion tangible. Rainy days serve as the perfect excuse to lay around and do nothing, and this song is basically a love-song-lullaby-hybrid.

“Wait! They don’t love you like I love you.”

When the Night is Over – Lord Huron

Lord Huron never fails to soothe me. The slow bass, intensely deep voice of Ben Schneider and poetic lyrics in this track are just art for the ears. Like M83, I struggled not to add their entire discography to this playlist because honestly, Lord Huron specializes in relaxing yet moving music – my personal rainy day preference.

“I hear the river say your name. By the stars above, I knew we were in love.”

Don’t worry, I didn’t leave you with five songs and expect it to last you a whole day. I created a playlist of the soft and slow variety for your rainy car rides, stormy mid-day naps and gloomy commutes to class. Just click the link for instant relaxation. Because whether you love or hate the rain, a little music to set the mood never hurts.

Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.