The Perfect Plants for Your Dorm Room According to a Self-Described “Plant Mom”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Since moving up to UMKC for college in the fall, I have become quite the plant lover. With over twenty plants in my room, you could say that it has become an obsession. I have even gone as far as naming them all and spending much of my paycheck at the local greenhouse. However, my multitude of plants brings me tremendous joy, and I love picking out new ones and taking care of them in my free time. Although living in the dorms has been a bit of a challenge, I have managed to find plants that have adapted well to the small space. With that being said, here are four plants that I believe anyone can keep alive in their dorm room.

Pothos (Epipremnum Aureum).

Also called the Devil’s Ivy, this plant is perfect for beginners because of its ability to handle low light and harsh watering conditions. I am extra partial to the Pothos because it was my first house plant ever and was extremely easy to take care of. I loved watching it grow from a small stalk to a long mess of green leaves and vines. However, I did have to bring mine back home because it outgrew its spot under my lofted bed. Because of this, I would definitely recommend placing it somewhere high where it has ample space to grow.

Air Plants (Tillandsia Ionantha).

I have two air plants in my dorm room, and I seriously think that they are the easiest plant to take care of. They grow entirely without soil, which means that they can easily hang from a windowsill in a small pot. When it comes to watering, you will want to submerge them in a glass of water for about five minutes every two weeks. Then, shake the excess water off, and place them back in the sun. Air plants also love humidity, so it’s recommended to mist them every once in a while or move them into the bathroom when you take a shower. Because of their uniqueness and simplicity, I would seriously fill my room with these plants if I could.

Prayer Plants (Maranta Leuconeura).

Although I love all of my plants, I definitely think that my prayer plant is the prettiest of the bunch. With its vibrant pink and green leaves and draping foliage, this plant is truly a beauty. I also think it is interesting that they are called prayer plants because of their leaves’ tendency to fold in at night, like a praying hand. With its daily movement, I have found my prayer plant to be extra dramatic. However, it is relatively easy to take care of. Just place it right under your window, and water whenever the soil feels dry. For fun, I even bedazzled the pot and started calling it Dolly, after Queen Dolly Parton herself. 

Any Succulent.

With over 600 types of cacti in existence that range in size, color and height, you are likely to fall in love with at least one of them. I personally have six cacti, and they are the perfect addition to my dorm plant collection. The best thing about these desert plants is that they are used to storing their nutrients, which means that you only need to water them about once a month or so. Plus, succulents tend to be cheap and incredibly easy to take care of, so even the worst plant owner should be able to keep one alive. 

To me, the best part about owning a plant is watching them grow in your care. I can’t tell you the number of times I have gotten way too excited about spotting a new leaf or seeing my plants thrive. I recommend owning a plant to anyone because I believe that it can truly make you happier. There are so many options out there, so I encourage you to research and browse local greenhouses in order to find the perfect plant to start you along the journey to plant parenthood.

Abigail Weiler (She/Her) is currently a Freshman at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where she is majoring in Political Science and minoring in International Studies and French. In her free time, she loves traveling, watching movies, running, keeping up with politics, and spending time with her dog named Heidi. She can almost always be found watching Parks and Rec, listening to Stevie Nicks or Carole King on repeat, working on her handmade earrings business, or encouraging people to vote.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.