Myers-Briggs Type Indicators I would give the Attack on Titan characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Attack on Titan (AOT) is a widely popular anime about a dystopian world where humanity is on its last legs. In a world that is ruled by titans, Eren Yeager, the protagonist, fights for his home, his family and his friends to end the titans’ rule. This anime is popular because of its hair-raising action, jaw-dropping plot twists and the amazing development that each character of the show has. I am currently watching the fourth and final season of this show, and I have been in awe of the intricate personalities that the authors of this show have created. The characters have been executed so well that I feel like I am in each of their shoes every step of the way. Usually when I watch a show, I tend to compare my own personality to that of the characters so I can relate to them more. I decided to give the main AOT characters a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality label so you can see which AOT character you are most like. It would be useful to take the Myers Briggs test and learn the acronyms before you continue on.

Eren Yeager: INFJ 

According to the 16 Personalities website, “Advocates (INFJs) may be the rarest personality type of all, but they certainly leave their mark on the world. Idealistic and principled, they aren’t content to coast through life—they want to stand up and make a difference.”

Eren Yeager is our protagonist. We have seen him being strong in his values and opinions from the start of the show. INFJs are advocates, firm in their values and very strong about how they enact their will. From the beginning of the show, Eren does everything he can for humanity, having such a strong passion and will to serve the common good. 

Mikasa: ISTJ

“These people tend to be reserved yet willful, with a rational outlook on life. They compose their actions carefully and carry them out with methodical purpose,” says 16 Personalities.

Mikasa is arguably one of the strongest characters of the show. She fights with purpose and strong will and always executes missions with perfect clarity. She has been portrayed as very dependable and responsible as well. Another aspect that I found interesting about Mikasa’s character is her absolute, unending loyalty to her friends. She always puts them first and everything she does throughout the show is for her friends. 

Armin: INFP 

16 Personalities says: “This is a rare personality type that tends to be quiet, open-minded and imaginative, and they apply a caring and creative approach to everything they do.”

I have noticed that from the start of the show, Armin is portrayed as very smart and creative. While he may not be the strongest physically, he is the brains behind many of the operations that they have. 

These three are the main characters of the entire show, but stay tuned for next article with the rest of the crew. AOT is one of my favorite animes, and it truly has so much intricacy and depth to it, especially with the development of each character. I hope after reading you’re intrigued enough to watch AOT as well.

Hi! My name is Shreevarsha and I am currently a third year in the 6 year B.A./M.D. program at UMKC! My hobbies include doing art and reading!