books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

My Ratings of Popular BookTok Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

If you are an avid reader, chances are you have stumbled across BookTok. This niche side of TikTok is where readers  have the chance to document impressive home libraries, large book hauls and reviews of their favorite books. Within BookTok, many creators tend to gravitate towards the same few books or books series. So, I thought I would take it upon myself to do my own rate and review of these “BookTok Classics.” 

Circe by Madeline Miller: 4 stars

If you have read my other book review articles, then you know this title has been on my to-be-read list for a long time. I can assure you all that I was not disappointed. As someone who loved the Percy Jackson series as a child, this novel refueled my passion for Greek mythology. Circe, known as one of the lesser goddesses, is someone that is not often talked about other than in her relation to the Greek hero Odysseus. This novel is told from her viewpoint as she guides the reader along with how she navigated a troubled life. We see the story of a strong woman who navigated challenges, embraced her identity and did not back down in a world that was built for men. Rather than the bitter witch that she is portrayed as in the Odyssey, we get to see a strong feminist character who loves fiercely. If you are a young adult who loves the Percy Jackson series, I would highly recommend this novel as the next progression for your reading

It Ends With Us and It Starts With Us by Colleen Hoover: 3.5 stars

This series follows the story of Lily, a girl in her early 20s, as she navigates opening her own business, creating new friendships and most importantly, an abusive relationship. I found this story to represent a reality that many women face, especially when the early 20s signal exploration of serious relationships. It is not always some random person off the street that is the aggressor, but rather someone that we love and thought that would love us in the same way. Lily’s story represents the difficulty that many women face in leaving a dangerous situation, especially when deep feelings and families are involved. This story is built on these challenging emotions, and I believe that it is a powerful read for any young woman who has found herself in an unsafe relationship.

Sadly, I found It Starts With Us to be very average. The sequel was a cute story which explored more positive themes following It Ends With Us, and I was happy that I got to see how Lily’s story ended. That being said, I did not find myself as invested in the second book, and I did not feel like the pieces added to Lily’s story warranted an entire second novel. Overall, this series was a good read, but It Ends With Us was definitely the better of the two, while It Starts With Us offered more light-hearted closure.

A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas: 4.5 stars

These books made my childhood heart squeal with happiness. This fantasy series follows the story of a strong female protagonist, Feyre, after her world is turned upside-down and she must navigate the High Fae world of Prythian. The reader is taken along a journey of fun, magic, romance and the meaning of family, along with deeper topics such as war, trauma and healing. Whether you are typically a fantasy reader or not, I believe there is something for everyone to enjoy in this series. It is very rare that I am immediately swept up into a series, but I can confidently say that I could not put these books down after the first chapter. Maas does an incredible job of developing relatable characters and building an elaborate world, and I think it is safe to say that I will be quite sad when this series finally wraps up.

Overall, I think  BookTok makes some great recommendations to add to your to-be-read list. Whether you are looking for a standalone book or a long series, there is something for everyone. I look forward to diving deeper into BookTok to expand my own reading, and I cannot wait to share my reviews with you all. Further recommendations can be found at https://www.hercampus.com/school/umkc/rating-my-summer-reads-and-whats-next-on-my-list/

Hi everyone! My name is Abby, and I am currently a fifth year in UMKC's six year B.A./M.D. program. My hobbies include triathlons, exploring coffee shops in the Kansas City area, and playing the piano. I also enjoy a good book, and my favorite author is Sarah J. Maas.