This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

I can’t believe I’m writing this. 

Four years ago, I wrote my first Her Campus article. Spoiler alert: it’s about being a nervous freshman on campus. Today, I stand less than two weeks away from my graduation date. There are few words to describe what I’ve been feeling in my last days as a college student. In fact, I wasn’t sure I could even find the words to write a full article — 400 words, right?

I’m just kidding. Honestly, words have never been an issue for me. I won the second-grade spelling bee, which I’m convinced led to me getting my degree in communications (emphases in journalism and interpersonal communication).  But when I think about how four years have already gone by, it’s hard for me to put my thoughts into words. As you can infer, or maybe even read in my first article, my first year at college was anxiety-inducing, to say the least. I hated how different everything was. I missed home. These days, I don’t know which one to call home: the place I grew up, or the place I’ve lived the last four years that has shaped me into this version of myself. I love this version of Me. 

When I joined Her Campus, the meetings were held in a tiny conference room at the library. There weren’t many of us, but I felt the most comfortable I had yet to feel on campus in that tiny conference room. The pandemic pushed our meetings online, but I feel the same, years later. It’s true that joining this organization would change the course of the next three years for me. I met my best friends, wrote over 40 articles and eventually was a co-Campus Correspondent. Tonight, I’ll attend my last Her Campus meeting ever, where I’ll wave goodbye (virtually) to some amazing friends. I wouldn’t take a single day back. Writing my final article is bittersweet. I’m not sure when my writing will be published again, but I do know that I am so grateful to have had Her Campus as an outlet for my entire college career. 

Nobody tells us what happens after the graduation part, but I think that’s what excites me the most. Usually, I would let transitional phases of life scare and intimidate me, but this time, I’m moving forward with confidence in myself. I don’t know what’s to come, but I accept the exciting path ahead. And after some trying years, I can say that I am proud of myself. Of course, I have a plan for what’s to come. Step one is to celebrate my accomplishments. Step two is to get my yoga teaching certificate. 

But more on that in a later article.

Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.