This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

On November 12, Disney released the new subscription streaming service, Disney+. Initially, I was skeptical whether it would be worth paying for the service since I already have Netflix and Hulu. Thankfully, Disney provides users the ability to try it out with a free week trial. I tested it out and have found some aspects that I liked and disliked about the service:

The Library

Once you have successfully set up your account, you are greeted with the home page of Disney +. The set up is very similar to Netflix. As you scroll through the homepage, you will be presented with some of the “popular” selections on the platform. You also have the option to browse through different genres or search for a specific title. Since Disney has almost its entire library in the app, it might be overwhelming to some. However, it was not a major concern for me. Another aspect that is sometimes overlooked is that National Geographic, Marvel Universe and Star Wars Universe are also included in the service.

The Layout

Like Netflix and Hulu, the algorithm will produce more recommendations as you increase your viewing activity. Recommendations tend to fluctuate and can be a hit or miss. But, the one flaw that I found in the app was that it does not have a “continue watching” section. For example, if I was watching an episode of “Good Luck, Charlie” and then exited out of the app, I would not be able to find it on the home page. I would have to search the app and find the specific episode that I was previously watching.

The Price

Disney has given its customers a couple of options when it comes to pricing of its service. It is $6.99 monthly or $69.99 per year ($5.83 per month.) The monthly membership is not that bad considering that it is around the same price for Netflix and Hulu. Additionally, Disney offers a bundle for its service along with Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99. I personally did not find the bundle a good fit for me since I already have Hulu with my student Spotify account.

Is it worth it? Well, it honestly depends. If you are an avid Disney fan or enjoy watching your childhood Disney Channel content, I would say that it is definitely worth it. All of the shows and movies that I grew up on are available for me to binge to my heart’s content. But, if you do not watch Disney content often, then the service may not be useful for you. 

If you are interested in signing up for Disney +, click here.

Tasha is the Events Director at UMKC's chapter of Her Campus. She is studying Psychology through the pre-medicine track. During her free time, she enjoys watching lifestyle & beauty videos on Youtube, listening to new music on Spotify, and hanging out with her friends. You can follow her on Instagram @marie_bills
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.