This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

It’s about to be the summer before my senior year in college. It’s crazy how quickly time goes. While most of my time during the season is spent with friends, family, working and doing some extra summer school work, I can tell that this year will be different. Granted, I will be doing these same things, but I am also working on developing myself. This summer, all of my goals are to make sure I am my best self. 

Complete my internship.

For about six weeks during June and July, I get the wonderful opportunity to intern at a nonprofit called The Whole Person. The Whole Person is an agency that serves people with disabilities in areas such as working, cooking and group outings. My internship consists of me supervising high school students with disabilities as they are learning how to work. I also have to teach miniature lesson plans to them that go over what they did each day. I love working and advocating for people with disabilities, and since that is my end goal for a career, this internship will give me lots of joy and great insight to the professional world. It will help me develop my leadership skills as well. 

Become a physically and mentally fit person.

I’ve always wanted to become a “healthier” person, but for so long I had no idea what that looked like. I started to work out and eat better since COVID-19 happened, but I’m not stopping there. This summer, I plan on learning how to meal prep and better track my calories. This will help me become a stronger person, and since I started my fitness journey, I have cared more about how I feel rather than what I look like. It’s better that way. It’s also no secret that I struggle with anxiety and depression. In fact, I’ve been pretty vocal about it to friends and family. However, I still want to develop some better coping mechanisms. I plan on going to therapy to talk about my issues and I want to journal more to put my thoughts into words. Working out is a really good way to get my stress out, but talking to a professional will help as well. I’m hoping that by the end of this summer, I will become the most fit I have been in years. 

Develop my cooking and baking skills.

Most of the time if I am not doing anything, I can be found watching Food Network. I love food and how it brings people together. My favorite shows are definitely the competitions. However, I want to become a great chef myself. Food has always been one of my greatest joys and whenever I cook and bake, I feel very happy and relieved. That’s why this summer, I want to develop my skills so that I can turn this small hobby into a passion. The whole process of cooking and baking is very rewarding, and the best part is that there’s so many ideas to try. You don’t have to limit yourself to one thing.

I’m so excited to see how I will be by the end of summer. These goals will help me become a better person, and I’m very ready to see the skills that I learn translate into real life. While the work will not be easy by any stretch, I have to remember that things that are worth it never come easy. If I work toward what I want, eventually I can get it. Whatever goals you set, know that you are capable and worthy, but you’ve got to put the time in because good things don’t just happen overnight. Here’s to achieving greatness!

Maddie Houx is a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City majoring in psychology and minoring in criminal justice. She is a second-year Her Campus member and is also a mentor on campus for students with disabilities. She is passionate about food, advocacy, and her favorite sports teams.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.