This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

With Starbucks dropping their Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew drink last week, it is safe to say that fall is just around the corner. However, I’ve been trying to hold onto the last bits of my relaxing summer. I definitely spent most of my summer reading for leisure, which is something I rarely get to do due to my busy schedule. Here are some of my favorite books that I read over the break.

“Red, White, and Royal Blue” by Casey McQuiston

With the amount of reading I was doing, I soon found myself on #BookTok, which was where I first saw this book. After watching numerous people rave about this book, including one of my good friends, I decided to borrow her copy of the book. I’m not even embarrassed to admit that I finished this book in less than 48 hours, it was that good. This LGBT+ novel centers around the First Son of the United States and his relationship with a British prince. Since the enemies-to-lover trope is my favorite trope, I was immediately invested in their story from the first few chapters. McQuiston did an amazing job fleshing out their story, and the interactions between Alex and Henry (the two main characters) definitely redefined the concept of romance for me. 

“Hood Feminism” by Mikki Kendall

When I heard that a new Black-owned bookstore opened near Westport, I knew I had to check it out. The bookstore, called BLK + BRWN, was where I spotted and eventually snagged a copy of ‘Hood Feminism.’ This book essentially deals with the concept of intersectionality and feminism by discussing issues such as the frequent exclusion of poor, non-white and non-cis women in the mainstream feminism discourse. Kendall does not hold anything back and brings up tough questions for her readers to think about and reflect on what they can do to improve or even redefine mainstream feminism to make it more inclusive to all women.

“The Love Poems of Rumi: Translated by Nader Khalili” by Nader Khalili

I’ve been wanting to read Rumi’s poetry for a while, and after seeing this beautifully illustrated version on sale at Barnes and Noble, I knew I had to get it. Rumi eloquently expresses the theme of love for not just others, but for ourselves, in over 120 poems. His words definitely make you self-reflect about life and what we are truly living for. I definitely enjoyed reading this collection of poetry and want to read his friendship and spiritual poems next.

“It Ends With Us” by Colleen Hoover

Now, I know what you’re thinking: “this book is ALL over TikTok.” But let me just say: this book is ALL over TikTok for a reason. “It Ends With Us” is easily one of the best books I’ve ever read in my lifetime. I would look up the trigger warnings before reading this book since some parts were heavy. However, it is safe to say that this book is one you will definitely still think about long after you’ve read it.

Despite varying in genres, each of these books changed my life in different ways. I hope you’ll decide to check out one, or maybe all of the books mentioned!

Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.