This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Over winter break, I finally decided to invest in a Nintendo Switch. I was lucky to find one after searching for a few weeks. For someone who isn’t an absolute gamer, I think it was a great purchase. The last time I bought a gaming device was in 2011 when my parents bought me the Nintendo Wii, if that gives you an idea of how much I’m into gaming. I’m a little picky about the games I like playing and after much realization, I figured that people in a similar situation would really appreciate a list of non-gamer-friendly games.

“Brawlhalla” 

If you’re a fan of “Super Smash Bros,” a crossover fighting game, you’ll appreciate “Brawlhalla.” There’s no story line or anything, you can pick up the game whenever and face-off against other people to try to knock each other off the floating platforms. A plus of this game is that you can download it for free from the online Nintendo Switch store! From what I understand, this game is also downloadable from Steam, so you can play with friends who use a PC.

“Mario Kart Deluxe 8”

If you’re a fan of racing games, I would highly recommend getting “Mario Kart Deluxe 8.” It definitely doesn’t disappoint in the graphics or the character crossovers. I think it’s really cool that they include mostly all of the characters within the Mario universe and even characters outside of it such as Link from “Zelda” and Isabelle from “Animal Crossing.” This game is a bit on the pricier side, so I recommend getting a used version if you can.

“Animal Crossing: New Horizons”

This is a game that most, if not all, Switch users have heard of. I used to play this game on my Wii and even got it for some time on my iPhone, but nothing beats the version for the Nintendo Switch. If you’re really into story games that have goals and lots of mini-games, this is the game for you. Keep in mind that this game is pretty expensive, so don’t be surprised if you have to pay upwards of $50 for it.

Regardless if you get any of the games from my list, I want to remind y’all that eBay and GameStop, among other websites, are good places to get secondhand games. I personally don’t see the point in paying full price for a game, especially as a college student with lots of other expenses that are more pertinent. It can also help to think that by buying secondhand games, you’re contributing less to global waste!

Mahreen is currently a senior studying Political Science, International Relations and Pre Law. In her free time she enjoys reading books about politics and watching foreign films. She is passionate about helping people, social justice and self care.