This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Although concerts have been canceled indefinitely due to COVID-19, we can still discover new albums to brighten our mood. Even though it’s only April, several great albums have come out this year that have helped me survive 2020. If you’re a fan of alternative and mainstream pop, this article is for you. Here are my favorite albums of 2020 (so far).

“Always Tomorrow” by Best Coast

Best Coast has been one of my favorite bands since I was in high school. Best Coast consists of musicians Bethany Cosentino and Bobb Bruno. I have been waiting for this album for years and it did not disappoint. This album talks about Bethany Cosentino’s journey with sobriety and her personal relationships. This album is the most alternative out of all the albums on this list, so if you’re into California pop-rock, this band is for you. It’s hard for me to choose my top 5 songs off  “Always Tomorrow” because I love all of them, but I’m going to try. 

Top 5 Songs: “Everything Has Changed,” “For the First Time,” “Graceless Kids,” “True” and Rollercoaster.”

“Manic” by Halsey

I have been a Halsey fan since 2016 and I have always admired her vulnerability when it comes to songwriting. Needless to say, this album blew me away with her honesty and raw emotion. If you are going through a transition of any kind, this is a great album to listen to. 

Top 5 Songs: “Ashley,” “I HATE EVERYBODY,” “3am,” “killing boys,” and “Still Learning.”

“Heartbreak Weather” by Niall Horan

Niall Horan was my favorite member of One Direction back in the day. I recently started following his solo career again when the music video for “Nice to Meet Ya” came out in October. This album follows the progression of a relationship ending, the aftermath of dating/hooking up with someone else and the feelings that come with it. Niall’s musical style has evolved greatly since One Direction and his first solo album “Flicker.” This album shows his growth as an artist. 

Top 5 Songs: “Heartbreak Weather,” “Small Talk,” “Nice to Meet Ya,” “No Judgement” and “New Angel.”

“Future Nostalgia” by Dua Lipa

I liked a few Dua Lipa songs in the past, but didn’t consider myself a fan of her until “Future Nostalgia” came out. The album name describes her sound; she combines 70s and 80s influences with 21st century pop music. If you want to feel like you’re at a nightclub or a 70s themed roller rink during this quarantine, you need to check out this album. Here is a great album review by YouTuber amandabb if you’re interested in an in-depth video about “Future Nostalgia.” 

Top 5 Songs: “Don’t Stop Now,” “Levitating,” “Pretty Please,” “Hallucinate” and “Break My Heart.”

I hope this article has introduced you to some new music. Right now, we need all the positivity we can get and these artists make me feel happy during these uncertain times. Happy listening, collegiates!

Kara is a senior studying English with an emphasis in Creative Writing and minoring in Communication Studies at UMKC. Aside from writing for UMKC’s chapter of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of Sigma Tau Delta-Nu Theta. In her free time, she can be found exploring Kansas City with her friends or cozying up with a good book.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.