This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Spring break this year will look different for most people, and whether you have one or not, you might not feel safe to travel. Regardless of whether you’ve procrastinated this semester or worked hard, everyone deserves a break. Traveling far is wonderful, but with COVID-19, it might be difficult. Luckily, there are so many other ways to relax, take a breath and have fun this break. 

Take a road trip

If you are like me and looking to not break the bank but still get away, take a drive. Nice weather, good tunes and great company make for a solid trip. Travel to a local city that you have always wanted to visit or go drive by some nice scenery. Don’t forget a full tank of gas, some shades and a good snack.

Take up the hobby you’ve been putting off

Even if you just have a weekend break, it’s a good time to do something that maybe you haven’t had the time to do. This could be painting, running five miles, scrapbooking, etc. This past winter break, I took up painting. I had been telling myself for a while that I would buy the other supplies because I had a lot of paint already, but I always felt like I didn’t have the time to do it. It felt so good to start and it was a lot of fun once I did. If you are similar to me, I encourage you to start that one thing you keep saying you have no time to do. No more hesitation, just get out and do it. 

Plan a staycation 

Staying at home or in your apartment might be one of the safest options at this time, so why not make it fun? You can plan to do this with a couple of friends or even by yourself. Pick out some of your favorite activities or model it after your dream vacay. Some ideas are to make a full breakfast display or some type of meal, grab a camera for a photoshoot in your best fits, enjoy a movie night, do an online shopping haul or play some fun games outdoors. I will likely be taking up this option because I have unfortunately become a homebody. 

I hope everyone takes a small break to do something they love or try out something new this spring. It is easy to get caught up in school and feel compelled to keep studying or doing work all the time. Put yourself first, hop out of the virtual world, get some fresh air and breathe. 

I am a third year student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City medical program. When I am not starting a new TV show, I enjoy looking at new recipes, taking pictures, and laughing with other people.
Haley Sakuma is a senior at University of Missouri-Kansas City studying communications with an emphasis in journalism and interpersonal communication. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and her favorite articles to write are blog-style with a personal touch of humor.