This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Disclaimer: I’m pretty sure I don’t have 20/20 vision, but I do for the purpose of this article.

Had you asked me last year at this time how the year was going to go, I would have said, “TBH, I honestly don’t really know, we’ll just have to get there and see.” Well, I got here and it was a bit different than I had envisioned. At the beginning of the year, I set a lot of goals for myself. Some of those I achieved, some I could not achieve with the current conditions that were going on in the world. Despite the obstacles encountered last year, I am happy to say that I am leaving it with some important life lessons. 

Health is wealth.

It is one thing to say you’ll start a new diet or make plans to go work out, but it’s another thing to actually do it. I am guilty of this. I cannot tell you how many times I skipped out on an opportunity to go to the gym or partake in an activity because I wanted to “study” or because I felt something was more important. The sooner I realized I was fooling myself by doing this, the sooner I felt both my physical and mental health improve. Moral of the story: execution is key and good health is invaluable, so put yourself first. 

Be thankful, stay grateful.

Last year tried me in more ways than one. I think it’s safe to say it tried many of us. For one, Kobe Bryant passed away at the beginning of the year, we endured school in a pandemic and my home country Nigeria was faced with the issue of EndSARS protests. On the other hand, the country got its first female black and asian vice president, I entered my first official year of medical school and I am alive. So with everything that happened last year, I can’t help but be thankful for today, every day. Also, you never know, gratitude might just change your attitude.   

Find your mantra.

This one is kind of random, but I feel it is of some importance. For me, I’ve really incorporated the phrase, “You can’t woop me” into many of my conversations (not with professors of course). It’s always nice to have that one phrase you can just casually slide into conversation with friends but aren’t bold enough to say to adults. Find that one lighthearted phrase or saying that instills confidence in you but still jokingly enough makes people not take you seriously. 

If you are reading this, congrats on getting through the year. Don’t forget to give yourself some creds for getting to where you are. It probably wasn’t easy. I am excited to take these lessons, along with my new and even bigger vision, into the new year. Whether you have 20/20 vision or 20/100 vision, take what you’ve learned and make a big vision for yourself in the new year. 

I am a third year student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City medical program. When I am not starting a new TV show, I enjoy looking at new recipes, taking pictures, and laughing with other people.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.