This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

As a history student, one of the most important things I’ve come to recognize is that the history of human civilization and society are painfully cyclical. Almost every major event or uprising can be strung together by identifying a common pattern. From the Roman Empire, to the Italian Renaissance, to the French Revolution, we can easily identify a rise, fall and rebirth, only to watch the same events occur once again through the lens of a new and supposedly “impenetrable” government or civilization. I suppose the United States is no different.

We have been told by our friends, family and, most certainly by the media that this election is arguably one of the most critical and contentious moments in modern history. Of course, that seems to be the same rhetoric that surrounds every presidential election… but, I have to admit, there is something distinctly unsettling about the consequences of this particular race. 

Perhaps it’s the fact that Donald Trump and his administration have managed to single-handedly normalize blatant abuses of power and corruption. Perhaps it’s the fact we’ve come to accept an unflinching, uncompromising and polarized society and political climate. Perhaps it’s the apathy and total disregard for the suffering and value of human life. Or perhaps it’s our collective short-sightedness. Whatever it might be, there is, undoubtedly, something eerie bubbling to the surface. And regardless of who wins this election, sh*t will most definitely hit the fan. 

Hopefully, by this point, you’ve already voted or you’ve made a plan to vote. As we learned from 2016, sitting out solves nothing. Sitting out furthers the problem and only continues to breed discontent and dissatisfaction. 

However, even though it may be days (or even weeks) before we have the official results, after the night of November 3, the vote we cast or didn’t cast won’t matter. What will ultimately define our future will be our response to the impending division and unrest that will inevitably sweep the country. There will assuredly be protests, and there might even be riots. And the way we move forward will dictate the sustenance and stability of this country and its democracy.

If we manage to push this administration out of power, I believe that it will usher in an era of reform unparalleled to anything we’ve ever seen in our lifetimes. Maybe this is just the idealist in me talking, but I believe that we’ll make greater strides toward healing by properly addressing the pain and suffering caused by this pandemic. We’ll craft and pass a healthcare bill that will make medical care and coverage accessible to all people. We’ll recognize the rampant discrimination and inequality that festers in every pocket of our union and we’ll work even harder to combat it. We’ll move toward closing the wealth gap. And we’ll pass legislation that will hold industries and corporations responsible for the damage they’ve caused to our planet and our environment.

There will certainly be resistance, but I envision so much hope and progress if we manage to persist through this darkness. Leaders that guide with understanding, compromise and compassion will pull us out of this game of identity politics. Instead, they will put us on a path toward progress and unity. We will continue to rise, change, learn and improve, and it will open the doors to a new generation of leaders and trailblazers eager to make a difference.

Unfortunately, though, as we watch this administration use its power and influence to undermine the integrity of our democracy, we also witness the basis and foundation of our country crumble along with it. We see the furthering of division and contention between parties and people. We see anger, fear and hatred in every corner. If these practices continue for another four years, it’s certainly possible that this election might be the beginning of the end. 

But after winter comes spring. After the fall comes the Renaissance. The rebirth. Everything comes to an end, but from the ashes, we rise again stronger and more gracefully than ever before. 

In one or two short decades, it will be us and our generation running the world. Of course, we’ll have to clean up this mess. But during that era, I have hope that we will learn and grow from the mistakes of today. I have hope that we will bring our knowledge, history and understanding into a new era, and I have total confidence that if we do, we will leave a legacy marked by compassion, justice and equality. And I suppose that’s not so bad.

As a society and civilization, we have reached an important crossroad. The path we take will either lead us further into darkness or toward the light. And even if we plunge further into the darkness, we must surge forward with the hope and confidence that we will approach another crossroad where we will choose to see the light again.

Niki is a third-year student at UMKC pursuing double majors in history and English along with a minor in film studies. Outside of writing and re-watching her favorite Tom Cruise movies, you can find her listening to audiobooks while on strolls through the park or walks around her neighborhood. She enjoys talking about travel, literature, health, wellness, and skincare and can never turn down a good cup of tea.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.