A Letter to my Little Sister (My Quarantine Buddy)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Ellie, 

Hey, buddy! It’s me, your loud, crazy, obnoxious big sister! Since this whole coronavirus thing started, we have been able to spend so much more time together. I’ve moved back home for the time being, so you’re stuck with me as your new old housemate! Since this is our first time really living together in almost three years, I thought I’d tell you some of the things I’ve learned (and re-learned) about our relationship. 

We could not be any more different from each other if we tried. 

You’re sporty, I can’t catch a ball to save my life. You bottle your emotions up, I spill mine out multiple times a day. I’m a mini version of Mom: nurturing, caring and a *little* naggy. And you are the teenage female version of Dad: goofy, fun-loving and with the tendency to be a tad bit lazy.  

But we also have a scary amount in common. 

We both love people and dogs and hammocks and good music. We both love a good family game night, and we’d kill for a good slice of pizza. We’re both a little messier than mom would like and a little louder than dad would like. 

You always know how to cheer me up. 

Whether it be a clever, perfectly timed quip, a silly dance or a hilarious Tik Tok sent to my inbox, you can pull me out of the worst funk and remind me that sometimes, laughter really is the best medicine. 

You are growing up so fast. 

17 years old. You’re looking at colleges and planning your future. It seems like just yesterday, I was helping out with your kindergarten Girl Scout troop, and now you’re deciding on what you want to do with your life. 

We may butt heads sometimes. 

Yes, I annoy you with my horrible singing, my snarky remarks and my constant need to be right. And I could do without your random screaming, your desire to pit mom and dad against me and your short fuse. 

But I wouldn’t trade all the craziness for the world. 

The good definitely outweighs the bad. You are goofy, kind, free-spirited and so compassionate. I am incredibly proud of the young woman you are becoming, and I cannot wait to watch from the wings as you take the world by storm. 

A lot of bad has come from the COVID-19 pandemic, but one silver lining is this: I get to hang out with you. And that makes me pretty lucky to be stuck at home with you. I love you, Ellie Belly!

Love, 

Anna 

Anna is currently a senior at UMKC studying Health Sciences and Public Health, with a goal of working in the nonprofit world. Anna's passion is advocating for people living with chronic illnesses through her work with the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. In her free time, Anna can be found obsessing over Panic! at the Disco and Queen while drinking coffee and watching romantic comedies or listening to podcasts.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.