Life > Experiences

Just Live On Campus – From a Former Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

I still remember filling out my housing application for my freshman year of college. Before my virtual senior year of high school, I never wanted to live in the dorms. I was perfectly satisfied in my recluse basement bedroom with no one to disturb my peace. However, because I ended up being home all the time during the pandemic, I felt an exciting yet scary impulse to get the heck out. Keep in mind, I’m a person who has a plan for almost everything because I’m not a fan of change. However, this spontaneous decision actually changed my life. No, really. Living on campus never crossed my mind, especially as someone who’s a former introvert. Here are some of the memories and great aspects that I was able to experience. 

Yes, you are more involved living on campus.

I can’t imagine living farther away from campus and being involved in the organizations I’m a part of now. There was positive peer pressure to do literally anything that was offered on campus. Now I’m a part of HC and working at my university’s Writing Studio as a Writing Consultant. There was a push to put myself out there, and I don’t believe I would’ve felt this way if I lived somewhere else. Another aspect of being on campus is a boost in work ethic. When I’m surrounded by other people who are doing school work, like my roommates or people in the library, I feel more motivated.

Random plans allowed me to connect to lots of people.

It’s so nice to have unexpected moments when someone new asks if you’re going to the dining hall or want to work out together. For people who feel pressured to join a crazy amount of clubs or organizations to make friends, you don’t. I’ve built friendships with people that live in my dorm building during random events in the lounge. Just by living on campus, I don’t have to worry about a drive back home and can just enjoy random times when I’m asked to tag along to events. After a poetry workshop that I attended on campus, I was invited to a drive to Cane’s with people I hadn’t met, and now we meet occasionally for coffee and studying. Furthermore, I found a group of nursing students playing Just Dance in the lounge. We had a mutual friend and he asked me to join, then afterward, we met every Sunday to watch “Euphoria” together. A lot of the little moments can lead to great memories.

My roommates are my second family.

I know I’m lucky to have a healthy relationship with the people I live with. However, I believe my roommates made a constant effort to establish this. When there’s something wrong, we talk about it. When someone goes to the grocery store, we ask the group if anyone needs anything. Not everyone’s experience may be like this, but I highly encourage you to give it a chance. I remember going to visit family one weekend and my suitemate messaged the group chat, “When are you guys coming home?” Something about that message hit me hard. My roommates cheered me on for my accomplishments, were there when I had my rough days in class and kept me company when doing mundane chores. Both myself and the people I was randomly assigned to live with and I had actually managed to create a home. We’ve casually joked about inviting each other to our future weddings or other important life events, but the truth is, this could actually be a reality of having a small, but lifelong group of people you can trust and call. 

Everyday living is different, but still a positive change.

If your household was anything like mine, you just ate whatever was in the fridge, helped put away the dishes and did your laundry whenever it was necessary. It seems simple, until you’re constantly handwashing coffee mugs, deciding which store has the best deals on snacks and having the adult moment of appreciating appliances, like a blender, as a gift. Living in the dorms is a great step toward what living on your own is like, and it’s helpful to know that your roommates are adjusting at the same rate you are. Rather than being tossed into the deep end with an apartment or house, it’s a smaller step (especially if you have any moving anxieties). It’s made me feel more independent and capable as a person when doing these little, yet important tasks on my own. Additionally, there is a greater appreciation towards everyday life and little things like buying Downy Unstoppables for your laundry.

It’s improved the relationship with my parents

I love my family very much, but lockdown and virtual school were especially difficult. It seemed that we would bicker more often because we were together all the time. I have found that moving out and into the dorms has actually provided the chance to miss my family. When I go home to visit, I realize how grateful I am for their hugs and cooking. I get excited to tell them about school and the things my roommates and I do together. There’s a saying that distance or time away is good for the heart, and it’s absolutely true. Now, you may run into conflicts with roommates due to cohabitating, but sometimes it’s easier to communicate how you feel to people your own age rather than your parents.

I am fortunate enough to say that living in the dorms has led to a cascade of positive effects in my life. If I hadn’t decided to live on campus, I don’t think I would have the courage I do today. I can walk up to people around me and start a conversation and I feel confident to try new things. Living in the dorms encouraged me to just try my best, even if I failed at something or didn’t like it. Putting myself out there in a new environment is scary, but with the support of my roommates, I’ve started to come out of my shell. So, if you’re feeling nervous about signing the housing contract to become immersed with a ton of strangers you don’t know, do it. Trust me.

Belle Yennie (she/they) is from Independence, Missouri. They are currently majoring in English and minoring in communications at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Belle was named Outstanding Mass Media Journalist in 2021 at Fort Osage High School and is continuing their passion through Her Campus and RooNews, UMKC's student media platform. They enjoy writing about anything, but their favorite topics to cover include wellness and trends. Living in the KC Metro has allowed Belle to go on mini adventures, such as browsing antique stores or trying out new restaurants.