This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Hey, we made it! The school year is finally over and it is time to put our feet up and relax. It may be finals week, but just remember as soon as you turn in that last test you can go and enjoy the fresh air, take a walk or go  nap in the sun. This year has taught me a lot about how to deal with the stress of school but also take the time to have fun and chill out. It has also taught me the importance of looking into the future.

Switching Paths & Stressing Less.

First things first, focus on you. The moment final grades are posted, take a look, take a deep breath and move on. Whether you have all A’s or you struggled a little bit this semester, remember you always have next year to improve your study habits –– and summer is the perfect time to draft up a plan so you don’t have stress about it in the beginning of next semester. If you are in summer classes, complete your assignments on time and listen to those panopto lectures! These classes are great GPA boosters, as your course load should be less compared to the Fall and Spring semesters. It’s college –– you are bound to make mistakes. But you will always bounce back. If you aren’t happy with your major, look elsewhere. If you find something you love, don’t be afraid to make the switch. Everything works out in the end.

Thinking Into the Future.

It’s summer, which is definitely a time of relaxation, but that doesn’t mean you can take a break from your future. Summer is the perfect time to set up shadowing opportunities in your future career path and a perfect time to explore other paths you think you might be interested in. Talk to your advisors and see what advice and opportunities they can offer you. Use this time off to explore the clubs UMKC has to offer, and see what you can get involved in next semester. Also check out which on-campus jobs are available as many will be accepting applications over the summer. Thinking into the future can be fun when you aren’t on a time crunch to complete an application or stressed about your classes.

Hopefully this summer allows us to all take a breath from this whirlwind semester. It is always a good idea to make time for yourself and the things you love to do, but don’t procrastinate. Spacing out a paper for a summer class or project around your house is going to make your life so much easier. Preparing over the summer for the next semester allows you time to breathe during syllabus week. Take this summer to relax and chill out, collegiettes! Go find your dream summer job and save up for those textbooks in the fall, work on that summertime tan, celebrate Gemini season, listen to some good tunes with your best friends and have a good summer. Signing off until the fall, HCXO! 

Amira is currently a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. She is always smiling with a kombucha in her hand & blasting her multiple Céline Dion CD's in her car because duh, the radio can't beat Céline Dion. On any given day she will gladly talk your ear off about Grey's Anatomy, stronger background checks for gun purchases and why immigrants are some of the most important members of our society.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.