This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, the media and the shelves of every store seem to be pushing ideas of love onto us. But the reality is that not all of us have or will have someone to spend this day with. Instead of despairing about being single this year, I would like to propose this: Be your own Valentine. It’s simple to say, but why should you do it?

After many hours in my therapist’s office and trying to balance a budding relationship, I learned that I needed to be happy with myself before I could commit to being happy with someone else. There are several other factors to think of, like family, acceptance and orientation. All of these can complicate your love life and make finding a perfect Valentine that much harder. So instead of stressing out about finding someone to spend the day with, make it a priority to spend that time on yourself. 

Society sends the message that we need to find any way possible to not be single on February 14, but why? What’s the big deal? It’s easy to get fixated on the ways in which society says we are lacking. Instead of despairing being single this year, you can devote this day to treating yourself and appreciating all the work you have put in for you this past year. 

You can spend this day on yourself in many different ways. Take the time to binge watch that new show you’ve been wanting to see, take yourself out to a nice meal (or order postmates) or even just spend the night in having some well-earned self-care time. There is no shortage of things to do if you are content to do them in your own company.

So much pressure is placed on us to have that perfect person for the season of love. It’s amazing and wonderful that some of us have that, but others, like myself, are single and don’t really need an entire season to remind us. So instead of focusing on what you don’t have this Valentine’s Day, focus on spending the day on yourself!

Chloe is a senior at UMKC studying English, WGSS, and pre-law, and is a writer in the Her Campus chapter at UMKC. In her free time she enjoys trying fun teas and rereading the same battered copies of Harry Potter and To Kill a Mockingbird. You can find her occupying the corner of a local coffee shop or the aisles of a used book store.