This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Introverts are often stereotyped as being homebodies who drink tea and hang out with their cats all the time (I’m guilty of actually doing this). However, being an introvert doesn’t mean that you have no social life. Introverts need solitude in order to emotionally recharge, whereas extroverts recharge by being around people. Regardless of whether you’re an introvert or extrovert, everybody needs a healthy balance of socializing and alone time. I’m here to challenge my fellow introverts to get out of their comfort zone. As much as I love cozying up at home, it’s unhealthy to isolate yourself too much from other people. Here are a few ways I challenge myself to put myself out there.

Participate in Extracurriculars

Last year, I transferred to UMKC after taking a break from college. I didn’t want to get bogged down with my studies, so I decided to join a few extracurriculars to get to know people on campus. Looking back, I’m happy I made the decision to get involved. I recommend joining an organization (or multiple) that aligns with your major or beliefs and actively participate in them. Not only will it look good on your resume, but you’ll make new friends and have new opportunities to cultivate your interests. I have learned leadership skills and how to network and collaborate with students, faculty and members of the Kansas City community by joining in various extracurriculars.

Make New Friends

As mentioned previously, joining extracurriculars is a great way to make friends. I have made most of my friends at UMKC because of my involvement in Sigma Tau Delta and Her Campus at UMKC. This year, I have tried to make an effort to get the know the people in my organization on a more personal level. I was worried it would be hard to make friends, especially as a slightly older transfer student, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Once I started to be more authentically myself, I started making deeper connections with the people around me. My advice is to stop being afraid to tell people about yourself. You might find your new BFF because they have the same interests as you. Plus, if someone doesn’t like your weirdness, why would you want to hang out with them anyway?

Say Yes to Plans…and Show Up!

I wrote an article last semester about learning how to say no, but it’s also important to learn when to say yes. It can be easy for introverts to want to stay home all the time, but you won’t grow as a person by doing so. Challenge yourself to go outside of your literal comfort zone (your house) and hang out with your friends. Or if you really want to stay home but still be social, invite your friends over for a movie night. Laughter and good company are some of the best things in life.

I hope these tips can help my fellow introverts get out of their comfort zone and start living life more fully. College is the perfect time in your life to do as many activities as you can. Don’t worry, your fur babies and your bed will be right there when you get home.

Kara is a senior studying English with an emphasis in Creative Writing and minoring in Communication Studies at UMKC. Aside from writing for UMKC’s chapter of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of Sigma Tau Delta-Nu Theta. In her free time, she can be found exploring Kansas City with her friends or cozying up with a good book.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.