Trader Joe'S
Trader Joe'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Career

How to Save Money from Grocery & Online Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

The beginning of the school year is always very hectic. Decorating rooms can be intimidating, especially since things can add up quickly. Once decorating is complete, buying groceries can be a hassle as well. However, I have found two apps that I personally use often that can help you save money as you are getting ready to shop for the new academic year!  

1. Honey

If you regularly watch videos on YouTube, you have probably heard influencers talk about Honey. Honey is an app and online web browser extension that automatically searches the web for eligible discount codes that can be applied to your online orders. Additionally, Honey has a feature that allows you to compare the prices of items from retailers. If you are interested in a particular item, you have the option to allow Honey to notify you when the price drops. Every time you make an online purchase through Honey, you receive points. The points can be traded in for gift cards to your favorite stores! In the past, I have redeemed points for Amazon and Target.

2. Fetch Rewards

Fetch Rewards is an app that allows you to earn points when you grocery shop. To earn points, you scan your receipt into the app. Then, the app will upload your receipt. By doing so, the app will track what items you buy and where you buy it from. The more frequently you buy the item, the more points you receive. A feature that I like about the app is that it breaks down your spending habits monthly and yearly based on the stores that you shop. Like Honey, you also trade your points for gift cards. Previously, I received free movie tickets and an Uber gift card.

Throughout the school year, you will be spending money on groceries and various items. Why not be rewarded for it? I hope that these apps benefit you as much as they do to me. Both apps are available for Apple and Android devices. If you would like to download the web browser for the extension for Honey, you can find it here.

Tasha is the Events Director at UMKC's chapter of Her Campus. She is studying Psychology through the pre-medicine track. During her free time, she enjoys watching lifestyle & beauty videos on Youtube, listening to new music on Spotify, and hanging out with her friends. You can follow her on Instagram @marie_bills
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.