How I (Barely) Maintain a College Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Being in college can be fun, but most of the time, stressful.  Between classes, working, being involved on campus, having a social life and still having time for yourself, it can be hard to enjoy the quick college experience. Here are a few secrets for how I keep myself sane.

1. A Morning Routine

Having a morning routine for every day of the week has really been helpful in not only making sure I get to places on time but making me feel less tired. I try (sometimes on the weekends this part is VERY hard) to wake up around 8 every morning so that I have plenty of time to wash my face, get dressed and pack up all my things for the day (a lunch, books, and a gym bag).

2. Dress Up and Feel Confident

Even though some weeks are filled with no sleep and a crazy schedule, sometimes it’s a good idea to throw on a little makeup, style your hair and wear an outfit that makes you feel confident! Having a little more confidence could mean getting a better score on an exam you’ve been stressing for, having the guts to ask out that person you’ve had your eye on or just feeling like you could take on the world. I know that I feel less drowsy and stand a little taller whenever I switch out my sweatpants for a cute sweater and bold earrings. Don’t get me wrong, I still take advantage of the “roll out of bed look” when my life is feeling too chaotic to handle, but the change really does wonders.

3. Take Time For Yourself

No matter how much you have on your to-do list, it should always be your #1 priority to take care of yourself. With all the overwhelming stressors we have in our lives, mental health is becoming more and more neglected. Remember to take deep breaths and remember that the low grade, bad mistake or an unfortunate situation doesn’t mean your life is over! Like our favorite little fish would say, “just keep swimming!”

4. Get Involved

I believe the best way to meet new people on campus and get your mind off school is to join some interesting clubs! Every campus has several types of group organizations that are dedicated to either your political views, interests, career choice or helping find you volunteer events. These are great ways to learn more about the things you love and even find new things to fall in love with. Not to mention that many organizations are great resume boosters!

5. Multi-Task

Being a college student means you have very little time. In order to fit in all of the things I would like to accomplish in a day, I sometimes have to multi-task. When I am driving long distances to school, work and my boyfriend’s house, I often listen to previous lecture recordings to maximize my study time when I am on the go. I also make sure I fit in my Netflix time whenever I am cooking or eating because how else will I have time to finish my show and pass my classes at the same time? Just combining two simple tasks together can save a tremendous amount of time that can be used for a little more studying or a night out with friends.

6. Find Your Group

The best part of college is meeting lifelong friends that you can share those fun college memories with forever. Finding the perfect group of friends may take time, but it is definitely worth the wait. College would be so much less bearable if I didn’t have my besties doing it right alongside me. Make sure to take time to socialize and keep those friendships close!

Of course, these six steps are not going to solve all of your problems. But, with time they can certainly make a huge impact. It is important to remember that even the little changes in your routine can make life a lot easier. If things get too hard, don’t hesitate to reach out to a friend; they want you to be happy more than anything! Most importantly, make sure you are taking care of yourself. This means eating healthy, sleeping enough and doing the things you need to do to be successful.

Alison is a biology major and a writer for Her Campus UMKC. She spends her weekends binge watching The Office, munching on Chipotle and cuddling up with her cat. Her favorite quote is: "a day without laughter is a day wasted."
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.