This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

It is important to have a sense of belonging at your campus. Having a group of people that are like-minded and have the same interests as you can help enhance your college experience. It is very easy to just attend class and go home. However, having a community can give you a sense of belonging and help you feel involved at your school. Whether you are a freshman or a senior, it is never too late to find your group on campus. Here are some ways that you can interact with new individuals.

Study Groups

Surprisingly, I have developed many friendships in study groups. Do not be afraid to chat with your classmates. Take advantage of the fact that you both struggle with understanding something in class. Developing friends in class will not only benefit you academically, but socially too. Oddly enough, the library is another great place to meet new people. Many students study there and I find they are open to studying with new people that are studying the same course.

Clubs & Organizations

This is an obvious one, but join clubs on your campus. It’s fun to be around people that enjoy the same hobbies as you. I enjoyed writing in high school and I am happy that I have the opportunity to keep up my hobby by writing for Her Campus at UMKC while meeting and making solid friends. Aside from writing, I am also able to join other clubs that fulfill my other hobbies and interests. In the past, I have been involved with GlobeMed, Gamma Alpha Lambda, Cru and the Psychology club.

Social Media

This is sometimes overlooked, but social media is another source to interact and meet new people. However, you do need to be careful with who you interact with. With proper discernment, you can turn your online friends into lifelong companions.

UMKC offers many tools and resources for students that want to get involved through Roo Groups. If you would like to find out more information, you can view all of UMKC’s clubs & organizations here.

Tasha is the Events Director at UMKC's chapter of Her Campus. She is studying Psychology through the pre-medicine track. During her free time, she enjoys watching lifestyle & beauty videos on Youtube, listening to new music on Spotify, and hanging out with her friends. You can follow her on Instagram @marie_bills