This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Happy Holidays, y’all! Celebrating the holidays eight months into a life-altering pandemic is weird and sad and different. At this point, we’re all pretty familiar with the concept of FOMO (fear of missing out). If you and your loved ones are following the CDC’s guidelines for holiday gatherings, then your holidays may feel kind of lonely. 

I don’t know about you, but since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, I have missed out on travel, parties, family gatherings and so much more. Some events have been canceled, which makes the FOMO a little more bearable. But the worst wave of FOMO crashes in when something isn’t canceled; your friends host a large gathering against your better judgement, so you stay home for the health of yourself and those around you. If you’re anything like me, you sit at home and scroll through social media, double tapping on all of the memories you’re missing out on. Sometimes, doing what’s right sucks. 

During a typical year, the holiday season is a time to gather with loved ones. However, 2020 is anything but typical, and you may find yourself at a loss for how to spread holiday cheer. Here are a few steps to ensure that your holiday season can still be full of love, laughter and cheer. 

Feel your feelings.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: 2020 sucks. Big time. It is absolutely okay if you feel a little more gloomy than in previous years. Acknowledge the gloom. Allow yourself to mourn lost time with loved ones. If you want to throw away the entire holiday season and start over next year, go for it! Don’t feel guilty for doing what is best for you and your mental health.

Change your mindset.

This is MUCH easier said than done, and you will definitely slip up and get sad again. However, I have been trying to think about why things have to look different. I would rather spend 2020 away from my extended family and have everyone gather again in 2021 than gather this year and be missing someone next year because of COVID. I am selflessly changing how my holiday celebrations look so that others can be with their loved ones soon.

Make new traditions.

Not everything is sad and awful. There are tons of COVID-friendly holiday activities that you and your loved ones can partake in. Instead of gathering together, have a Zoom celebration. Drive around and look at lights, make hot cocoa, decorate sugar cookies and watch Christmas movies. We cannot control the pandemic, but we can find ways to create joy in the midst of sadness and fear.

Do your part to make sure next year is better.

Staying home instead of going out may feel like a drop in the COVID bucket, but if we all do our part, we can save lives. Keep wearing your mask. Keep washing your hands. And PLEASE keep your gatherings to 10 people or less. If we all do our part, Zoom parties will be a distant memory by next year’s holiday season. 

This holiday season more than ever before, our world needs light, love and joy. Spread it however you can (without spreading germs). Sending long-distance hugs until in-person hugs are safe again. Happy Holidays! Or mediocre holidays. We’re going for whatever we can get in 2020. 

Anna is currently a senior at UMKC studying Health Sciences and Public Health, with a goal of working in the nonprofit world. Anna's passion is advocating for people living with chronic illnesses through her work with the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. In her free time, Anna can be found obsessing over Panic! at the Disco and Queen while drinking coffee and watching romantic comedies or listening to podcasts.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.