This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Did you know you could add your own covers to your Spotify playlists? Or that you can add descriptions to those same playlists? Well you can! Customizing my Spotify is one of my favorite things to do each year. Create a Pinterest board with your playlist aesthetics and get to making your Spotify as cool as you want it. Here are some of my favorite tips and tricks for customizing my Spotify.

Playlist Covers.

This is where that Pinterest board comes in. Every year I choose an aesthetic for my playlists –– this year is ocean with tones of white –– based on the vibes for the year. Pick your images and download them. To change the cover, you need to use the desktop app, but you simply choose your playlist that you want to add the cover to, hover your mouse over the image and click the pencil. Upload the image and press save!

Playlist Descriptions.

I always like to add fun names to my playlists but I equally enjoy adding cute and funny descriptions to my playlists. All Spotify accounts are public unless you make your playlists private, so adding descriptions can let your playlists be discovered by others! To add a description, choose a playlist, hover over the image again and click the pencil to edit. From there, you can change the name of your playlist and add a description.

Add Folders.

This is my favorite trick to show people! You can add folders to your Spotify to organize your playlists. I have a folder for each year and a folder for the playlists Spotify makes for me. To add a folder, go to the left hand side of the screen and right click underneath playlists. The option to add a folder will pop up. After you name your folder, you can drag and drop it wherever you want it under that playlist tab, so don’t worry about where it is when you create it.

Spotify.me

This one is more of a trick than a tip! If you are interested in your listening habits but don’t want to wait until the end of the year for your Spotify Review, visit the spotify.me site! All you have to do is log in and they will show you your top artists of your Spotify lifetime as well as your  recent listening. They even tell you what time you stream the most, –– 3 a.m. sad boi hours are about to be exposed –– what type of listener you are and will make you a playlist of your top songs at the end of the page!

Those are some of my favorite things to do on Spotify when I’m just vibing with my music, procrastinating homework. I would like to add that if you are a college student, I highly recommend skipping one of your daily coffees and getting Spotify premium. Your study sessions will never be the same after listening to your entire playlist with no ads! The added bonus of free Hulu makes the $5 worth it. Check out my Spotify @alani.amira, too. I have been editing my playlists since 2017 and absolutely love the aesthetics I have picked out. Now go explore Spotify and find yourself some new music or old classics to enjoy!

Amira is currently a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. She is always smiling with a kombucha in her hand & blasting her multiple Céline Dion CD's in her car because duh, the radio can't beat Céline Dion. On any given day she will gladly talk your ear off about Grey's Anatomy, stronger background checks for gun purchases and why immigrants are some of the most important members of our society.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.