How College is Your Gateway to Minimalism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Minimalism is something of a hot topic lately. As we all panic about our environment and the unsustainability of our current practices, we’ve all started to more closely examine what we own and why. There are numerous videos on YouTube where people show their minimalist apartments which are void of furniture and feature wardrobes of only 12 pieces of clothing. But for most of us, that’s not as doable. College often means moving away from home for the first time, and it offers a perfect opportunity to shift your life more toward minimalism.

Think of moving into your college dorm your freshman year. Realistically, you have half of a room to keep everything you need for the next five months in. This sudden downsize makes it more obvious that we all own a lot more things than we really need. My shoebox of a closet and three drawer dresser barely held anything, so most of my clothes and other belongings stayed at my parents’ house. And the thing was, I had everything I needed. I had plenty of clothes, plenty of shoes and I even brought my favorite zen coloring book and coffee maker. So, realistically, I had everything I needed.

That shift in space forced me to think about whether or not I really needed everything I had back home. Because, at the end of the day, I didn’t miss much that was left behind. I don’t live in a dorm anymore, but I like to think that I’ve kept a few of the things that I learned when I was in that dorm room. And as I get ready to move cross-country, with only my carful of things, these lessons become even more important.

All those things that sit in my apartment untouched for months, do I need them? All those boxes of childhood toys that I don’t remember playing with, do I still treasure them? Does the thought of bringing all my books with me give me joy or stress me out? There is a fine balance there. I’m not saying that you should get rid of everything that you own. Instead, think about keeping the things that matter most to you and that you would actively miss. But keep in mind that this means something different for everyone. Maybe you wouldn’t keep that old t-shirt of your grandpa’s, but I would. Likewise, I don’t really feel the need to keep those old report cards, but you might like to look back at them and reminisce.

At the end of the day, college can be a gateway to minimalism. It can show you which things you value and use and probably that, like me, you own too many clothes. This isn’t meant to be a panic-inducing article saying you own too many possessions. Instead, think about the steps that you have already taken toward minimalism without even realizing it. Think about the things you really use, love and miss. Keep in mind that this is different for everyone. And when you decide to get rid of those things you don’t use, think about the best ways to donate and rehome them ethically.

Chloe is a senior at UMKC studying English, WGSS, and pre-law, and is a writer in the Her Campus chapter at UMKC. In her free time she enjoys trying fun teas and rereading the same battered copies of Harry Potter and To Kill a Mockingbird. You can find her occupying the corner of a local coffee shop or the aisles of a used book store.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.