How To Become a Politically Active Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

We get it girl, you’re busy. Truth is, as college students, we don’t have much time to think about whether or not we need to buy toilet paper, let alone how to defend society at large. But with the government as it is, the need for young Millenials and early Gen Zers to step up is real! Taking time out of your “go, go, go” kind of day will not only benefit you as a student, as a future employee or boss babe but the fight in restoring justice and equality across our nation. With these four simple steps, you’ll be on your way to becoming the next Nina Donovan; Dunkin Donuts employee one day, women’s rights poetry aficionado the next.

1. Get Educated

There’s always that one guy or gal who thinks they know what’s up. Spitting out information that is either false or blatantly impossible isn’t just embarrassing, but also unfortunate for your peers. The more outwardly spoken you are about inaccurate information, the bigger the chance of it spreading. Of course, it’s already hard to navigate through all the “fake news,” but there are definitely ways around that. Rather than tuning into CNN, FOX or your local news, try NPR, or a Ted-Talk. These scholarly driven outlets and other research-based articles will give you the pieces you’re looking for.

2. Get Connected

Finding a political topic (or topics) you can resonate with, will only set you up for success. Whether you feel called towards the Black Lives Matter movement, women’s equality or LGBTQIA+ communities, what hits close to home is what will motivate you to stay up-to-date on current issues. It is better to be extremely knowledgeable in one area, one in which you have experienced for yourself, than ill-educated on many.

3. Get Involved

As students, there are plenty of opportunities for us to find a community catered towards our goals and opinions. Joining a political-based organization on campus, or in your community, is a wonderful way to make sure that you are engaging in political discourse on a weekly basis. These conversations and debates will help strengthen your ideologies, or even test them, which isn’t always a bad thing.

4. Go Vote

It’s time to put the first three steps to the test! All that time devoted to researching and developing ideas, and your communication with other members of society, have prepared you for this moment. Voting is the most vital part of being a politically active student, and being able to take action will make missing out on an after-class Netflix session totally worth it. Remember, your vote matters.

While politics can be overwhelming and seemingly impossible to understand, they can also be extremely useful in uniting with your fellow students. See, politics isn’t just about the biggest and baddest in the White House, but also us little guys fighting for what we believe is fair and equal. When you educate yourself and bring that knowledge to your organizations and clubs, a community of hope is fostered. And that is something our country needs more than ever. Hope. So get educated, get connected, get involved and go vote! Do your part to ensure that those who come before you have the same rights you have, and more.

Megan is currently a Sociology and Urban Studies major at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, hoping to pursue a career in non-profit community development. Along side her education, Megan is a lead barista for a mobile coffee shop called The Wild Way, and volunteers at a local urban farm where she lives out her badass-female-farmer dreams. Megan is passionate about all things organic farming, climate activism, sustainability, intersectional environmentalism, and social justice.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.