This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Do you ever feel unmotivated to do your homework? To study for that big test? It’s already hard enough to handle all the work being thrown at you in college, and then when you’re hit with the I-don’t-want-to-do-anything-but-lay-here bug, it feels like you might never get back on track. Trust me, everyone has those days. These are some of my favorite ways to stay motivated.

Plan everything out

A great planner is the key to a successful day. I really enjoy making to-do lists and checking off each task as I complete them! With so many cute planners on the market, you will definitely find one to suit your personality. Some of my favorite planners I have had are from ban.do, but plenty of my friends enjoy using bullet planners for a more personalized feel. Check out Amazon for some cute options and invest in some new pens while you’re there.

Surround yourself with the right people

Having friends that are always willing to lend a hand or just make you laugh can brighten any day. Book a study room and invite the friends you know will actually study and the ones that might not get anything done. Then, aim to be in the middle of those two sets of people. Get your work done but enjoy a laugh or two. A good laugh can feel like an ab workout if you do it right. 

Take care of YOU

Finally, take care of yourself. You will never get anything done if you don’t stop to catch your breath. Ride each wave of motivation to the very end, then stop to regroup and continue on. There is nothing wrong with taking 30 minutes to doodle on your planner as long you go back and finish those notes when you know you can devote your full attention to them. Rewarding yourself now will help your motivation in the future.

Motivation can be hard to come by at times, so I hope these little tips help. Take a moment to yourself, grab a facemask and turn on Netflix for one episode of your favorite show. Then, in that new fancy planner of yours, write what truly motivates you to get through school, work and life on the cover to flip back to when you need a reminder. Your motivation will come back soon enough when you take the steps to regain it and remember your goals. 

Amira is currently a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. She is always smiling with a kombucha in her hand & blasting her multiple Céline Dion CD's in her car because duh, the radio can't beat Céline Dion. On any given day she will gladly talk your ear off about Grey's Anatomy, stronger background checks for gun purchases and why immigrants are some of the most important members of our society.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.