The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants graduation scene
Warner Bros. Pictures

Graduating Without Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Whether you are a senior in high school or a senior in college, the thought of graduating without a graduation is extremely confusing and disheartening. Approaching this exciting time, there can definitely be mixed feelings about graduation. You may have not wanted to walk across the stage and shake the hands of several mentors and leaders. You may not have been thrilled at the idea of sitting for hours and hours celebrating your fellow seniors. You may have said, “Can’t I just get my diploma already?” On the other hand, this may have been the highlight of your high school or college career. Perhaps this was the single event that pushed you to succeed in times when you wanted to give up. 

Whatever stance you took as the graduation season approached, you are now facing the reality that it has vanished altogether. Now as a senior, there is no choice to feel elated or annoyed about the process of celebrating your accomplishments. So, what can you do to ensure that your achievement is acknowledged in a way that is appropriate for you? The following is a list of actions you can take to make graduating an experience to remember!

First, take senior photos! Although you are not going to a graduation, you are still graduating, and that is a big deal! Take a moment to put on your favorite outfit — don’t forget your cap and gown if you have them — and get someone in your family to help. Go to a park, your favorite spot to hangout with friends and study or even somewhere in your house. These pictures will be a way for you to remember and reflect on your time as a graduating senior. Share them with the world! Let everyone in your life know that you are proud of yourself while also giving them a chance to celebrate you!

Second, plan a celebration just for you. While you may not be having a graduation at school, that doesn’t mean you can’t have a graduation of your own and right from the comfort of home through Zoom, Facetime or Microsoft Teams. Make it as formal or casual as you want it to be through decorations, dress codes and whatever you feel will make it perfect for you! Send out virtual invites to every person you want with you in this time of celebration. Remember that this is a time for you to be with all of the people you love, so don’t hesitate to ask family and friends to help you in your planning. It is important for you to recognize the great accomplishment of graduating. Don’t deny yourself the celebration and recognition that you deserve.

Third, give yourself a pat on the back! Sometimes recognizing that you did an amazing thing is enough to make you feel fulfilled. In times of such inconsistency and inability to know for sure what comes next, it is important to acknowledge your accomplishments. Try not to focus so much on the future and focus more on the present season of celebrating you. 

For all of you high school and college seniors out there who are about to graduate, remember that you are amazing! Don’t deny yourself the opportunity to celebrate the outstanding accomplishments you have made. If you were planning on taking senior photos, take them. If you were planning to celebrate with friends and family, celebrate. If you are proud to say that you are graduating, don’t lose that pride. Graduating without graduation has brought forth feelings of confusion and grief for seniors across the globe. Now more than ever, we cannot forget to support one another and ourselves through this strange journey. If someone in your life is graduating this spring, ask them what they need, ask them what they want and ask them how you can help. If you yourself are graduating, take this opportunity to celebrate in a way that is unique to you! 

Congratulations to high school and college seniors everywhere. You are incredible!

Ciera Farrens is currently a Senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City studying Psychology and minoring in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. She is a writer for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and she loves expressing herself through fashion, music, and of course, writing. Ciera spends most of her time seeking out new coffee spots and exploring the fountains of KC!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.