This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

*Disclaimer: The purpose of this article is not to shame those who have conscientiously decided to abstain from voting, as everyone has different limitations and comes from a unique background that shapes their relationship with electoral politics. However, I hope that these four (of many) reasons encourage you to send in a ballot despite your doubts.*

Criminal Justice Reform & Systemic Racism

Biden’s plan is very expansive, but it includes the decriminalization of cannabis— which has furthered the disproportionate incarceration of black and brown people—ending the death penalty and also uses the Justice Department to crack down on the rampant misconduct in prosecutor’s offices and police departments. Additionally, he will invest in mental health resources and community centers that have been proven to statistically lower the risk of crime.

Trump thus far has just been to send the National Guard to crack down on peaceful protestors and to use the Justice Department to pardon his friends and meddle in the election with false accusations of voter fraud.

Climate Change.

Well, the first thing to note is honestly just that Biden believes in science. Along with a vast clean energy plan, he also promises to reduce carbon pollution and rejoin the Paris Climate Accord, which Trump left. During his administration thus far, Trump has taken over 100 measures to federal climate regulation and even approved drilling in the Arctic, which endangers not only the environment, but also the Gwich’in indigenous tribe that resides there.

Taxes.

Taxes might not be the most interesting political issue up for grabs, but every American citizen pays them (except for Trump, I suppose). During Trump’s presidency, or more specifically in 2018, 60 of the nation’s largest corporations paid no federal income tax although they generated a net profit of $79 billion. Not only that, he has set a precedent that allows the upper first class to pay less in taxes than the middle class. Perhaps the cherry on top is that the U.S. has come to a record high of jobs overseas thanks to his lax policies.

In stark contrast, Biden’s plan would not raise taxes on anyone making less than $400,000 and instead boost the corporate tax rate, thereby increasing government funding for social programs and reducing the national debt, which Trump’s presidency furthered by nearly $2 trillion. Additionally, Biden will impose a tax penalty on corporations that outsource jobs outside of America, thereby boosting domestic economic growth and jobs for the lower and middle class.

Privilege.

Although this election might seem like a toss up between two old, grumpy white men with no negligible impact to your own life, Biden and Trump’s policy differences directly impact the lives of women, BIPOC, people with disabilities, the LGBT+ community and more. Even if you feel as though voting for either candidate conflicts with your morals, one’s sense of moral purity should not take precedence over the lives of people that require immediate political relief and cannot wait for the perfect candidate to come along.

This is not to say that voting is the cure to every problem with America’s political system, but it is one immediate measure that should be utilized by everyone who has the means, especially those with the privilege and means to do so. In fact, if you feel as though these candidates represent a problem with the American political system, be more politically engaged in your community and join organizations that fight for better futures. Voting is just the baseline of civic engagement, but by no means is it the end-all-be-all.

You may have your own disagreements with both candidates, both parties or heck, even the whole electoral system, but I hope you will reconsider whether your grievances truly require you to abstain from voting.

Hey! I'm a fourth year in UMKC's BA/MD program I love listening to music, watching Netflix/YouTube, singing, and learning new languages :)
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.