Republic Records

Folklore Songs Based on Your Astrological Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

It’s finally fall so you know what that means— pumpkin cream cold brews, cozy sweaters and Miss Taylor Swift on repeat. With the release of Swift’s “Folklore,” I can finally give my repeat button a break and listen to something other than “All Too Well” as I walk around campus pretending I’m the main character of a movie. After endless listens, it is safe to say that Swift has outdone herself again. I decided to combine my love for both astrology and folklore, so here are the Folklore songs based on your astrological sign:

Aries: ‘the last great american dynasty’.

Lyrics: “There goes the maddest woman this town has ever seen”.

With Aries being a fire sign, “the last great american dynasty” definitely encompasses the anger issues they are known for. They can also be very aggressive, which can be seen in lyrics such as, “she had a marvelous time ruining everything.”

Taurus: ‘epiphany’.

Lyrics: “With you I serve, with you I fall down, down”.

Tauruses are known as one of the most loyal signs of the zodiac chart. Their venus ruling also makes them tend to serve their loved ones out of love and respect for them.

Gemini: ‘mirrorball’.

Lyrics: “I can change everything about me to fit in”.

With the symbol of twins, geminis are known to be “two-faced” (or at least have multiple personalities). As an air sign, they are very sociable and thrive on human interaction. With mirrorball, we can see this with lyrics such as “I’m still trying everything to keep you looking at me”.

Cancer: ‘my tears ricochet’.

Lyrics: “’Cause I loved you, I swear I loved you / ‘Til my dying day”.

Cancers are known to be the most emotional sign out of the zodiac chart. They are sensitive and insecure, which definitely does not go well with their emotional vulnerability. 

Leo: ‘peace’.

Lyrics: “But I’m a fire and I’ll keep your brittle heart warm”.

The only sign to be ruled by the sun, leos are known for being very passionate lovers. As a fire sign, they will do anything to protect the people they love with their peaceful and tender heart.

Virgo: ‘this is me trying’.

Lyrics: “I was so ahead of the curve, the curve became a sphere”.

As perfectionists, virgos will do anything to ensure they are always on their A game. They fail to recognize that perfection isn’t something that can be attained. With the curve becoming a sphere, it highlights the endless cycle of work virgos do just to reach the social construct of perfection. 

Libra: ‘illicit affairs’.

Lyrics: “It’s born from just one single glance”.

Libras are known as hopeless romantics and do not acknowledge the concept of boundaries due to them being air signs. A single glance across a room can make a libra swoon in mere seconds, making illicit affairs the perfect song to describe them.

Scorpio: ‘mad woman’.

Lyrics: “Does a scorpion sting when fighting back? / They strike to kill, and you know I will”.

With the symbol of a scorpion, I simply had to associate Scorpios with mad woman. As a fixed sign, they can be very manipulative and aggressive during conflicts.

Sagittarius: ‘exile’.

Lyrics: “I’m not your problem anymore / So who am I offending now?”.

Sagittariuses do care about what other people think of them, which makes them view themselves as the main character in every story. exile suits them perfectly, as it is in first-person and the overlapping of Swift and Justin Vernon’s (from Bon Iver) voices shows the miscommunication that can occur when they only think about themselves.

Capricorn: ‘invisible string’.

Lyrics: “Cutting me open, then healing me fine”.

Being an earth sign, capricorns can come across as emotionless. When hurt, they usually are sad for a while but then get over it due to their logical thinking working in full-swing, overpowering their emotional side.

Aquarius: ‘the 1’.

Lyrics: “And if you wanted me, you really should’ve showed”.

An air sign, aquarians tend to not care about the people who wronged them but instead try to live life by their rules. This allows them to be unforgiving during conflicts. Their free-spirited nature makes them prefer to be single rather than tied down to somebody.

Pisces: ‘cardigan’.

Lyrics: “When you are young, they assume you know nothing“.

Pisces’ are known for being naive due to their constant state of daydreaming. They can get hurt when it comes to love because of their fairytale expectations of what it really means. This makes cardigan the perfect song to describe them, especially with lyrics such as “Steppin’ on the last train, Marked me like a bloodstain.” 

I hope at least one of these songs resonated with you based on your sign, whether that is your sun, moon, rising or even venus sign. If you’re not sure what your chart placements are, feel free to check it out and learn more on Cafe Astrology.

Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.