Flowers Florist
Flowers Florist
Alex Frank / Spoon

Five Things to Do in Kansas City in the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

With spring here, the weather out has been wonderful. We can finally enjoy being outside without wearing multiple layers of clothing. Kansas City has many things to offer to the community, whether it’s trying out a new restaurant or walking around The Country Club Plaza. Here are some suggestions on places to visit since Spring has finally sprung.

The Nelson Atkins Museum

Take advantage of this wonderful weather and pack a picnic to enjoy on the front lawn of the museum. The free admission is definitely a plus. There are 15 different collections of art, so there’s plenty of pieces to look at. You certainly have to take some pictures in front of the huge shuttlecocks, or did you even go?

Liberty Memorial

The Liberty Memorial has the best view that Kansas City has. The World War I museum is located in the basement. The museum does cost $18, but it is definitely something everyone should at least experience once. Just remember, don’t sit on the wall (if you know you know).

KC Barbeque

Kansas City is known for the best BBQ. There are so many different BBQ restaurants to try, here are a few popular one’s: Gates bbq, Q39, Joe’s BBQ and Jack Stack’s. You will definitely be satisfied with any of these restaurants.

Betty Rae’s Ice Cream

This is the best ice cream shop in Kansas City. The line may be long, but it is worth every minute. With over 20 flavors that vary from cereal milk to vegan options, it’s a family favorite. They even make fresh waffle cones and bowls. Betty Rae’s is the best place to go even for some cute Instagram pictures, with great murals outside the River Marker location.

The Kansas City Zoo

For only $8, you can visit the Kansas City Zoo. There are various feeding opportunities, rides and shows. Having over 70 different types of animals and the newly built penguin exhibit, the zoo is a great place to spend the day in the Spring weather.

You can visit all most of these locations by riding the streetcar, which is free. The streetcar offers 16 different pick up and drop off spots in Kansas City. Take a study break and enjoy the wonderful spring weather we are having by visiting one of these locations.

Hunter is a freshman at UMKC studying Pre-Nursing. Aside from being a writer for Her Campus, she is a member of the Delta Zeta sorority. During her free time you can catch her watching Youtube videos, working out, and eating burritos with her friends.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.