This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

If you follow the news, you may have heard that Greta Thunberg is trademarking her name so that companies cannot use it for commercial use. But other than that, the climate conversation that was exploding in September has gone silent. Even though the media is no longer focusing on the climate crisis, we should still have environmentalism on our minds. But I get it… it’s really hard. There are small things you can do that will have a huge impact on your environmental footprint. Here are five easy ways you can reduce your consumption. 

Get a reusable water bottle

The average American uses 137 plastic water bottles a year.  Investing in a reusable water bottle can drastically reduce your plastic consumption (and save you money!). So go ahead and buy that Hydroflask you’ve been eyeing.

Refuse plastic bags, Opt for reusable ones instead

This is getting easier to do every day. Most stores have reusable bags available for purchase right next to the check out. If you are like me and forget your bags every time you go to the store, try putting them directly back into your car after use so they will be there next time.

Conserve home utilities 

This means turning off the lights, conserving water, keeping the thermostat between 68-78 Fahrenheit, (depending on the season) etc.These things can be difficult to remember, but they will help you keep your energy consumption to a minimum.

Try going vegan

Going vegan is becoming more and more popular and as a result, vegan options have expanded greatly. Not only are there great vegan cookbooks, but more restaurants are catering to people’s diets. If you love meat or other dairy products, try reducing your consumption by half. Even just lowering your intake can help lessen the impact of pollution caused by meat the industry. 

Thrift 

Thifting became extremely popular after Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ “Thrift Shop” was released. If you are looking for some inspiration, try watching thrift hauls and thrift flips on YouTube. Shopping this way can be a great way to give new life to an article of clothing that is coming back in style.

Being a good environmentalist is not nearly as hard as everyone makes it out to be. It’s also important to remember that not everyone is perfect and it may take awhile to get into the swing of it. But after a little bit of time, these tips will start to come naturally. Wondering how you contribute to the climate around you? Visit www.footprintcalculator.org and learn even more ways you can help reduce your carbon footprint.

Jessie is currently a sophomore at The University of Missouri Kansas City studying Biology and Chemistry in hopes to do research on infectious diseases. As apart of the events team, she hopes to spark strong bonds and lasting friendships among the women in Her campus. In her free time, she enjoys going to Target (especially when she doesn't actually need anything) and binge-watching the latest Netflix originals.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.