This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

As the Thanksgiving season approaches us, now would be a good time to do some reflection on the year and everything that has happened. The good, bad and ugly have all helped you grow to be the person you are today. Whether it was a painful experience or a beautiful moment doesn’t matter. What matters is what you learned from it and how it got you to where you are today. While it is good to reflect, it would also help to share with the universe that you are thankful for these experiences. In this article, I’m going to share some of the things that I am thankful for this year. 

Family and Friends

Now I know what you’re all thinking. “Gosh, Maddie, this is so cliché.” Well, so be it. The reason they’re called clichés is because they’re widely accepted as the truth. This year was really big in the family and friends aspects of my life. My family and I have grown to be extremely close. It’s probably the closest we’ve been in years. I moved out, which was a big step for all of us, but once you’re apart from someone, you really begin to cherish the time you have together. My friends are all the biggest blessings I’ve received. Each one of them is so unique and I know I can count on them for anything. While it may not be easy all the time, I don’t regret a second of being with them. We are all a fun friend group that I can trust with my life. My friends and family are my biggest supporters and I am thankful for each and every one of them.

My boyfriend

I’ve dated my boyfriend for almost two years now. It’s been quite a ride being with him. Things aren’t easy all the time, however. We have our ups and downs, just like any other relationship. Sometimes it’s even harder because we are in a long-distance relationship, but even then, I wouldn’t trade what we have for the world. My boyfriend is one of the smartest, kindest, hardest working people I’ve ever met. Seeing him grow and do the things he is passionate about is one of the best feelings. Not to mention, I appreciate everything he does so much more because I don’t get to see him often. Through everything we’ve done together, I’ve grown to know more about myself and relationships in general. He’s one of my biggest fans and I’m one of his. I’m so thankful for him.

Propel

In an article I previously wrote, I talked about working for an agency called Propel at my school. If you don’t know, Propel is a program where college-age students with disabilities can receive mentoring and classes geared toward them. I’m a mentor and this is my first semester doing it, but I already know that this is something I want to do for the rest of my life. Working with the Propel students has given me insight on what I’m passionate about and has helped me learn so much more about working with people. It’s the best job I have ever had and working with the students has caused me to become a bigger advocate for people with disabilities. I’ve even been promoted to lead mentor within the program, so it’s a very remarkable adventure, to say the least. I’ve grown so much just within a few months of working there. I’m thankful for this program because it has shown me so much about what I want to do during and after college.

Her Campus at UMKC

Last, but certainly not least, I’m thankful for Her Campus at UMKC. This organization has given me an outlet where I can write about things I am passionate about, and since I’ve started this semester, I really think I have grown as a writer. I also get to experience being in a family that I’ve never had before. The girls I’ve met in this group have been nothing but kind and supportive. I’ve been able to bond with people and make new friends. This organization has made my college experience so much more worthwhile. The articles I have written have also been shared and many people have enjoyed them. I’m thankful for my girl gang, being able to write on this platform and being able to touch many people’s hearts. 

Even though I am especially grateful for everything this time of year, I am thankful every day. The experiences I’ve mentioned have really changed my life. It’s been quite a rollercoaster year, but as I continue on with my journey through life, it’s been such an amazing time seeing myself grow and change for the better. This Thanksgiving, I encourage you to express gratitude for what you have experienced this year. What are you thankful for?

Maddie Houx is a senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City majoring in psychology and minoring in criminal justice. She is a second-year Her Campus member and is also a mentor on campus for students with disabilities. She is passionate about food, advocacy, and her favorite sports teams.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.