Eight Things to do this Fall in Kansas City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

One of my favorite things about moving to a new city for college is that I get to discover new places. I’m always looking for things to do for the new season. Last year I didn’t have a lot of time to explore, so I decided to make a bucket list. Here’s my top eight list of KC activities for the new season.

Apple and Pumpkin Picking

I was excited to learn that there are a couple of options in Kansas City! There’s apple picking at Cider Hill Family Orchard, which is about a 35 minute drive from UMKC. There’s also Louisburg Cider Mill, which has a corn maze and tours in addition to their pumpkin patch. Weston Red Barn Fun has food, shopping and pumpkin picking but the best part is that entry is FREE! If you like corn mazes, The Liberty Corn Maze is the largest in Missouri and is about 35 minutes away from campus. 

Get coffee at your favorite shop.

Did someone say PSL? Some of my favorite coffee shops for the fall are The Filling Station, Monarch and Broadway Cafe. Mother Earth is having Fall Fest on October 5th. This free event includes live music, pumpkin decorating, coffee, cookies, games and even giveaways.

Friendsgiving

This might be difficult if you’re living in the dorms, but having a friendsgiving can be a cheap and fun way to get together with friends and celebrate the season. Purchasing premade food is delicious, but getting creative and cooking at a friend’s house or even the dorm kitchen can make the occasion even more special.

First Fridays

If you’re from Kansas City, you’ve probably already gone to First Fridays. But if you haven’t been, it’s at the Crossroads at 5p.m. on every first Friday of the month. They have art galleries, restaurants and live entertainment. While they no longer have food trucks, it’s still a great time of the year to explore the city.

The River Market

While this is fun every season, the River Market in the fall is even more exciting. You will be able to find an array of pumpkins and gourds, baked goods, fall themed flower bouquets and so much more! The cool weather also makes the market a great place to grab a coffee and stroll around on a Saturday.

Haunted Houses

Kansas City has a bunch of haunted houses. There’s Edge of Hell, which was Kansas City’s first haunted house. The Beast is in the top 13 haunted houses in the country. Big Screen Scream at Macabre Cinema has a haunted 1930s movie theater and has real movie sets from horror movies. All three are open September 16 through November 5 and tickets cost $27 each. A few others worth mentioning include: Exiled, Hospital of Horrors, and escape rooms like The Basement. If haunted houses aren’t your thing, Kansas City also has “real haunted houses” that offer tours. The haunted Elms Hotel and Spa has been featured on Ghost Hunters in 2013 after years of rumors of it being haunted. The hotel is spooky enough on its own, but they also have haunted tours. Alexander Majors House was built in 1856 and is on State Line. Tickets are $50 per person for group tours but if you can get a group together, private group tours are $10 per person. Click here for more details.  

Kansas City Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest is located in Crown Center and Power and Light District from October 4-5th. There will be food vendors, games and shopping! For a full list of festivities, click here

Worlds of Fun

I’m most excited to go to Worlds of Fun’s Halloween Haunt this year. The Halloween Haunt has mazes, four different scare zones, shows and rides. They also have student ID Fridays where students can get $20 off tickets! This offer ends October 25th.

Kansas City is such a lively city with so much to do that sometimes it is easy to miss all it has to offer.  hope this list gave you some new ideas for things to do with your friends. Fall is my favorite season and I can’t wait to check off my bucket list with these fun activities in KC.