This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Now that the sunny days of summer are all but over, you might be looking forward to eliminating sunscreen from your morning routine, but don’t be too hasty! Use this as your guide to sunscreen, from why it’s important, to my personal recommendations.

Why Should You Wear Sunscreen?

The sun constantly emits a combination of ultraviolet radiation that can erode your skin’s protective barrier. Sunscreen acts as a protective shield against radiation and environmental degradation. When you don’t use sunscreen, you’re at risk for:

1. Cancer. Its UVB rays can burn into your skin, increasing your risk for cancer.

2. Aging. Its UVA rays can penetrate into the dermis (middle layer of skin) and breakdown collagen, which is responsible for the skin’s elasticity and firmness.

How to Optimize Sun Protection?

1. Apply a coat of Vitamin C serum prior to sunscreen. The antioxidant has been linked to a reduction of sun damage that can boost and stabilize SPF.

2. Reapply every 2-3 hours. Sunscreen wears off after a while, so it’s best to be on the safe side.

3. Use tinted sunscreen. It contains ingredients like iron oxides which provide protection against visible light from sources such as electronics and light bulbs. Also, it eliminates whitecast, which often makes sunscreens less cosmetically pleasing or inclusive to those with darker skin.

Some of My Personal Favorites!

1. For dry/combination/sensitive skin types, try the Centella Green Level Unscented Sun SPF 50+ PA++++

I have been using this sunscreen for a few weeks thanks to Hyram, and I’m in love! It has a creamy consistency and it feels just like a moisturizer. Unlike many other sunscreens, this one doesn’t dry me out and also has zero whitecast. If that wasn’t enough, it has Centella extracts that reduce the appearance of redness and inflammation!

2. For oily skin, try La Roche-Posay’s Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid

This is a dermatologist favorite for a reason! It applies matte on skin and has been formulated with avobenzone, which has some of the best UVA coverage of known ingredients.

3. For hydration/darker skin, try CeraVe’s Hydrating Sunscreen SPF 30 Sheer Tint

This uber affordable sunscreen’s sheer tint evens out skin tone and shields the skin against visible light, but that’s just scratching the surface on its abilities. It provides numerous skincare benefits outside of sun protection. It has ceramides, hyaluronic acid and niacinamide, which soothe redness, heal the skin’s barrier and trap in water for hydration.

There’s no point in following even the most detailed of skincare routines if you don’t wear sunscreen! And just remember: even if applying sunscreen seems tedious in the moment, your age-defying skin will thank you.

Hey! I'm a fourth year in UMKC's BA/MD program I love listening to music, watching Netflix/YouTube, singing, and learning new languages :)
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.