This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

One of the things I have been struggling with in my personal life is depression. I struggle to get up early and go to work. I struggle to even attend classes and do my homework. I find myself sleeping until 3 or 5 p.m. and even then waking up exhausted. Depression is a constant sense of nothingness and then an overwhelming feeling of everything crashing on you. One of the things that has helped me work a bit and smile is this amazing desktop app called Desktop Goose. 

What is  Desktop Goose? Desktop Goose is an app that you can download where a goose torments you as you work. This goose waddles around your screen with cute little footsteps and pulls out memes to make you laugh. When you delete the meme, the goose gets mad and steals your cursor for a few seconds. The goose even tracks mud that disappears as you work. Still not convinced he’s great for you? Here is a video of the goose causing havoc.

A screenshot of the desktop goose on my PC screen
Hoorayan Hamid
I downloaded this app after seeing it on a procrastination app called TikTok. My goose, whom I’ve named Ducky, has been keeping me smiling since I downloaded the app. I struggled a lot this semester to turn things in and simply to wake up. Most of my struggles have occured because I am a perfectionist and begin to panic midwork that the work I am producing is bad. This leads to a lot of anxiety that I’m going to never finish it or do it well enough. But then this lil goose waddles on the screen and immediately reduces my anxiety and makes me smile. Whenever I begin to feel like that nothing I do is enough, the goose comes on the screen with a meme to make me laugh and remind me that it’s just an article or paper and I am worth much more. 

The best part is that you can also program in certain memes or messages. There is a folder that comes with instructions from the creator on how to add more memes to the goose. I began adding more memes and they have truly brightened up my day. 

Here’s the link to the app to download it on your PC : The Desktop Goose

Hoor is a junior at UMKC majoring in Creative Writing and Psychology. She enjoys traveling the world, reading, writing, and animals. She aspires to become an author one day as well as an owner of a huge library. You can find her binge-watching her favorite shows such as Game of Thrones, writing,in her room or playing with her dog, Aussie.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.