Style

Comfy but Fashionable Fits for In-Person Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

After a year of lounging around in sweats and having Zoom classes in bed with the video turned off, a lot of us are finally going back to attending in-person lectures and activities. I’m sure you’ve been waiting to bust out your updated wardrobe for the past year (or two!), but that burst of inspiration can only last so long before we’re back in pajama couture so here are 7 tips for a more long-term and sustainable comfy-chic style.

Coordinate the details

Even hoodies–the quintessential college get-up–can look fresh with the right attention to detail and a uniform color scheme. You could match the lettering on your hoodie/crewneck to the colors of your socks and/or your shoes. Alternatively, you could tie your hair up with a trendy scarf that matches the colors on your skirt or details on your belt. And wearing cohesive jewelry can never hurt!

Display your waistline

As Ashley, or @bestdressed on YouTube, often says: “don’t lose your waist!” Pairing baggy shirts with baggy pants can swallow you in fabric and even come across as frumpy (unless you’re into that particular brand of heavy street style), but that’s nothing a good ol’ fashion tuck can’t fix. Tucking a small corner of your top or even the whole top into your pants or skirt can elevate your look by emphasizing your body shape.

Opt for A-line dresses

While a confidently worn bodycon dress can make any baddie shine, it’s not necessarily the most comfortable or realistic clothing item to wear to your lectures. A-line dresses are the perfect remedy for that because they are super comfortable to move around in — especially after a big meal. The cherry on top is that they do all the work of putting together an interesting outfit on those lazy days where you can’t be bothered to dress up.

Wear flowy pants

Like everyone else, I’m a sucker for high-waisted jeans, but the stiff fabric can make it annoying to sit down during your classes. Flowy pants are way more comfortable and make an outfit look put-together, so you should definitely invest in a pair!

Throw on a jacket for extra dimension

Lecture halls can be unnecessarily cold, so it’s always best to be prepared with an arsenal of cute outerwear. Jackets add an extra dimension to every outfit, but are also practical to keep with you, so there’s no way you could go wrong with this tip.

Wear neutral monochromatic outfits

There’s just something about an all-neutral outfit that is absolutely *chef’s kiss*. Creams, tans, beiges and blacks always look so put together and sleek in monochrome, plus they’re not too daring for those who don’t like to venture far out of their comfort zone!

Get some funky long socks

Okay, this is admittedly something I just like to do, but hear me out! Funky socks can add a fun twist to pretty much any plain, cozy outfit! You can coordinate the major colors with the rest of your get-up to add more cohesion, or leave it to be the statement piece you bought it for. Not to mention, it can be a great conversation starter in case you’re a bit rusty on your socializing skills from quarantine.

At the end of the day, if you like something, you should just wear it. Fashion is just a matter of personal taste and preference, so take what resonates with you and leave what doesn’t. Also, you’re at school to learn, so there’s no pressure for you to spend time on your outfits if you don’t want to; we all secretly miss the pajama couture whenever we dress up, anyway. However, college is a great time to experiment with a wide variety of things, including your personal style, so don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone every once in a while, too!

Hey! I'm a fourth year in UMKC's BA/MD program I love listening to music, watching Netflix/YouTube, singing, and learning new languages :)