This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Climate change is real and coming full throttle at our precious earth. Go ahead, read the previous line again. The majority of the population has heard the news and read the studies explaining climate change. We, as a whole, do not want to do anything about this terrifying phenomenon, as this would require change, something we as humans struggle with. Climate change involves complex scientific research and studies but, in simple terms, it is the change or difference in weather patterns compared to past years. This could be the change in rainfall or change in temperature which in turn affects ocean levels and the life it holds.

There is another frequently used term encompassed by climate change: global warming. This is when certain molecules of gas including carbon dioxide and other pollutants trap heat and energy, causing high temperatures across the world. According to NASA, in the past century alone, the temperature has climbed 0.7 degrees Celsius, nearly 10 times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming. The more gas molecules released, the more heat trapped. Yes, it’s as scary as it sounds. Although The United States only holds 4.4 percent of the world’s population, we are the second largest contributor of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Yikes.

Do you see the problem here? If we continue on this path, it will lead to more detrimental effects including stronger hurricanes, more frequent heat waves, higher temperatures and higher sea levels.

The relationship between climate change and politics has created a paradox in which a large amount of evidence exists, but political leaders including President Trump are not creating the change that is needed. Luckily, climate change activists from around the world are creating rallies and marches, essentially fabricating a climate change movement to increase positive, urgent actions involving change within the world. The movement is called “ Fridays for the Future,” prompted by Activist Greta Thunberg. This movement started in Europe and has traveled to Japan, Australia and even the United States. Yes, you read it right! This movement has spread here, right here to UMKC. Multiple organizations including your Her Campus team are participating in a climate change rally on March 15th, at 3:00 p.m. This rally is located outside 800 E 51st, KCMO (University Playhouse). So come support this movement, and become active and involved in this global change!

Now the last thing, I know what you’re thinking – none of this matters and I am no scientist. I can’t fix this. But wait, here is the kicker – you can. The first step is to decrease participation in any activity that increases the concentration of greenhouse gases. Do the little things, attend rallies and marches. Show our country’s political leaders that we care. Tell them to focus on this subject and to stop cutting budgets. Turn lights off when you leave the room, watch unnecessary water use or simply be educated on subjects like these. Do what you can and hopefully when everyone gives a little, it will indeed make a change.

Hannah is currently a sophomore at UMKC, majoring in Pre-Pharmacy. She is a feminist & a Jesus Lover. She enjoys listening to alternative music, fashion, and the color yellow. Hannah is a supporter of G2 pens and loves meeting new people!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.