This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Book·draw·al

/bo͝okˈdrôl/

noun

The feeling of loss and longing caused when you finish a book and wish it could go on forever. 

I have always loved reading; getting into a good series and reading for hours on end is something I do even now! I get “book-draw-al” at the end of almost every series; I would get an empty feeling in my stomach as I would go from an action-packed finish with plot twists to nothing in a matter of days. Even then, I would never stop reading; the worlds, characters and emotions that I have been exposed to have changed my life for the better. These are a couple of book series that I could not put down! 

“Six of Crows”.

This duology is the sequel to the famous trilogy, “Shadow and Bone” by Leigh Bardugo. While I did like “Shadow and Bone,” I thought “Six of Crows” was an amazing series with so many interesting characters and plots. “Six of Crows” is a high fantasy series about a character named Kaz Brekker and his team who have to pull off a heist. This series strays away from conventional YA books with cliche characters or love triangles, which makes it even more interesting. It also portrays multiple strong women, which is something that I connected with as I was reading the series. Also, to fans of the “Six of Crows” duology and the “Shadow and Bone” trilogy, there is a Netflix adaptation coming out soon!

“Throne of Glass”.

“Throne of Glass” is a young adult, high fantasy series written by Sarah. J. Mass. The series features a teenage assassin named Celaena Sardothien, who lives in a corrupted kingdom. The series follows her story as she fights for what she believes in and learns to use her powers with the help of others on her team. This entire book series is another example of strong and powerful women with every single female character, including the main character, being inspiring in their own way. The series also emphasizes the fact that women should support women to succeed! One thing that I liked about the book is that it starts small, with a few characters, but then the problems get bigger until the characters have to fight to save the world. This natural progression made the book series very interesting and addictive as well!

“Legend”.

I read the “Legend” series by Marie Lu when I was in 8th grade, and I fell in love with the book. Another example of a book with a strong female lead, “Legend” truly exemplifies the individualism and independence that women have! It is a young adult, dystopian series with the fourth book newly-released in 2020. The story is about two people who are from different economic situations in a warring country. There is a lot of suspense and adventure in this series as well, which I really enjoyed!

Reading books has always been a good pastime and hobby for me. If I start a good series, I can stay up for hours reading it. These three series are guaranteed to get you hooked and to leave you with ‘book-draw-al,’ I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

Hi! My name is Shreevarsha and I am currently a third year in the 6 year B.A./M.D. program at UMKC! My hobbies include doing art and reading!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.